cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant enable intel smart response technology acceleration

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just bought a new computer with a 2TO SATA disk with Windows 8 on it and a 32gb SSD drive. With the Intel utility that came installed, there is a possibily to use the SSD drive as cache to accelerate your main hard drive. However, when I go to the acceleration tab, it prompts me for which SSD I want to use (I only have one), ask me how much of it I want to use for caching (the whole thing), ask which physical disk I want to accelerate (C:), and asks which mode to enable (I've tried both).

Every time it pops up an error and says that an unexpected error has occured while tryign to enable acceleration and to restart my computer and try again. I've tried again and again, and get the same error every single time

I updated the firmware on the SSD, ensured that I had the latest iSRT installed, as well as checked my bios settings.

Please help, I have looked all over online and haven't found any clues.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Lenovo U310 Touch, 500GB+24GB SSD ..Haven't seen an "Accelerate" option with my Intel Rapid Storage Technology so I went into BIOS, my SATA settings were set to AHCI, so I changed it to RAID, a few seconds later I scrolled down to your post that said "i would not advise to changing it".... luckily it didn't fry my system!! Any idea how I can get the Accelerate option? Thanks!!!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It is really not me that says that, but some OEMs. Probably it would always be better to install a system with the correct controller. But I have changed my systems on some occasions without problems.

Did you find a place to show you how to change them in Windows 7?

If the SSD was already in the system, was it being used for something else, like Rapid Start? Does it show up in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology as being available...? Some options may be in the Bios for such things.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After switching to RAID in the BIOS my system would not startup and I got some Windows 8 errors with a ":-(" sad face.. Luckily I was able to switch it back to AHCI and get my system started.

I have Intel Rapid Storage Technology Help opened and I'm reading through the requirements for Accelerating the system (found under "Cache Device Properties")... All I see is RAID-RAID-RAID, so I'm assuming RAID has to be enabled in order for me to see an Accelerate option_? I believe the SSD in my system is designed and has been implemented for caching (ExpressCache is installed) as well as Intel Rapid Start, although Lenovo themselves have informed me that Intel Rapid Start is yet to be compatible with Windows 8..

Not sure if I can successfully change my SATA controllers to RAID 😕 technically (if my machine is capable) or personally (I've never really been too familiar or comfortable with RAID drives)

Lenovo U310 Touch Windows 8 500GB+24GB SSD (as sold by Staples.com)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

In order to change it over, in Windows 7 you have to enable the Raid Controller in the Registry. There are several sites that show how to do this, but basically, you need to open regedit.exe and go to the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV

On the right side, the "Start" entry has to be changed from 3 to 0 which you do by right clicking and modifying the value, then saving. It can be very dangerous to edit your registry, so take precautions.

When you reboot, in the bios change the SATA controllers to RAID. If you were to have the drives on a secondary controller, you would have to set it to RAID.

If you could find a site that takes you through the process, that would be good.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975453/en-us Error message when you start a Windows 7-based computer after you attach a RAID disk: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Cool, I'll look into it, thanks!

btw, you keep mentioning Windows 7...? I'm running Windows 8. Hope it still works.