cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant enable intel smart response technology acceleration

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just bought a new computer with a 2TO SATA disk with Windows 8 on it and a 32gb SSD drive. With the Intel utility that came installed, there is a possibily to use the SSD drive as cache to accelerate your main hard drive. However, when I go to the acceleration tab, it prompts me for which SSD I want to use (I only have one), ask me how much of it I want to use for caching (the whole thing), ask which physical disk I want to accelerate (C:), and asks which mode to enable (I've tried both).

Every time it pops up an error and says that an unexpected error has occured while tryign to enable acceleration and to restart my computer and try again. I've tried again and again, and get the same error every single time

I updated the firmware on the SSD, ensured that I had the latest iSRT installed, as well as checked my bios settings.

Please help, I have looked all over online and haven't found any clues.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

how is your partition table? have a look at

I was able to enable acceleration after deleting a second NTFS primary partition

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As you can see in the screenshot below, I have 5 partitions of my primary 2 Go disk. This is the way it came from the factory and I have not changed anything.

My first partition is a 600 Mo Backup Partition; then a 260 Mo EFI System partition. My C: 150 Go partition where my OS is installed and a 😧 Data 1600 Go partition. Finally there is a 15 Go Backup Partition.

I can not delete or modify or assign a letter to any of the backup partitions.

Do you think this is the cause of my problem ?

According to Sandisk, I have the latest driver for my SSD Drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I would try the following: Backup all your files of the Data (D:) partition to another disk or to C: and delete it or boot Linux to toggle the second NTFS partition to another non-NTFS partition type like 83 (Linux). Then reboot and try to accelerate the system partition - if you can accelerate it, it's nearly the same case as mine except that I don't use the GPT but the MBR partition scheme.

MFry
New Contributor

I just wanted to pipe in that I was having difficulty with this issue on Windows 7 and the problem was having a partition on the SSD as ajb suggested. Afterward, the accelerate partition isn't visible in "Disk Management" so my guess is it's a Linux ext partition managed by the chipset.

The missing steps as I've seen them are:

1. Both disks need to be in RAID mode (although not configured) if your Windows is installed on a disk in AHCI or IDE mode you will need to follow the steps in this post to switch to RAID mode [http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation How to: Change SATA Modes After Windows Installation]

2. The SSD you intend to have as your cache needs to have unpartitioned space (up to 64GB)

3. Accelerate will use up to 64GB (on the H87) of space on the SSD and you can now go into "Disk Management" and partition the rest of the space for whatever you want.