cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check out our newly posted SSD New Users Guide

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi All,

First, I'm an Intel employee. Thought you should know . In an effort to make this communities site a more useful place and to reduce the amount of repeat questions, we've added a new users guide. You can check it out here:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-031549.htm http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-031549.htm

Even if you're not a new user, take a look ; it may answer some standing questions you have. Also, we're open to suggestions on further topics you'd like to see us cover. Thanks for your support!

Scott

23 REPLIES 23

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Okay Flamenko1,

First I'm going to need some more details. What drivers are you using? What version of the Intel Toolbox? Can I get some clarification on the process you are using to measure performance before and after? Maybe give me a step by step? Once I have some more information we'll be able to start figuring out what problem you're running into

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I dont know what I can give you in addition to what I have provided. Simply put, in all instances that I know of personally and outside the web (11) system restore creates havoc due to its allocation points and TRIM pretty much does nothing. This is obvious when one tries to run the latest vertsion of Toolbox and the Optimizer takes well over an hour to complete.

I have posted other threads here about it and they went unanswered as have other people stating yes, this is occuring. It is very common and the simple test I described above can be done by anyone and to their surprise the end result is the same. TRIM and Optimizer should take a split second and never an hour plus. Only when System Restore is on and left to add up the restore points does this interfere with TRIM and then testing shows it reduces performance significantly. Shutting it down and then waiting for TRIM or optimizing yourself brings it back up.

I, myself have done this on a Acer, 2 Dells and my sons Alienware G72...always the same. Its a common problem and recognized throughout the commuity as you will see many Tweak threads telling you to shut down Sys Restore because of this.

If you go to my site, www.thessdreview.blogspot.com and got to the Optimizing Thread, it is described there in detail when the thread advises to shut down Sys restore.

Thanks ahead!!!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Flamenko1, I know this does not answer your issue but could I suggest a work around? System restore takes up loads of

valuable space, adds overhead and as you have identified it slows down TRIM.

Why not use system image for backing up, which is included free with Vista/ Windows 7?

Control panel > Backup and restore > Create a system image

It takes around 10 minutes to create an image & 10 minutes to restore the image and the backup can be stored cost effectively on low cost storage.

Creating a system image is also a good option for anyone left stranded without TRIM on G1 drives as it makes it easy to reset performance with hdderase.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Agree totally.... I don't have a problem with my system whatsoever as you can see if you go to my site below. The issue is one that I believe should have been identified long ago and looked into however. I had brought it up here in the past as well as countless other sites and the only response I get is people saying, "Well will you look at that? My System Restore is off from now on"

Some people got very upset with me at first only to later apologize and say yes, in fact, even in their case TRIM cannot be working at all with System Restore enabled.

The way to check is a above and I have always welcomed other to try it and just about everyone who has decided to get involved has offered the same results for their system.

Up until this fine gentlemen above, Intel would not even acknowledge the threads created.

Les

http://www.thessdreview.blogspot.com The SSD Review

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Flamenko1,

Again, I'm going to need a little more information to properly reproduce your problem. I need

-The version of Intel Toolbox you're using

-Your operating system

-The storage drivers you're using (Intel RST? MSAHCI?)

-Your complete system restore settings. How much space do you have allocated? (these options differ based on OS)

-The time it takes your version of Toolbox to run before and after restore points have been enabled.

I understand you're frustrated and that you'd like some verification, but in order for our results to be effective we need a proper baseline for comparison. Thanks!

-Scott