cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatbility of 6xSSDs in 10 or 5 RAID and ICH10R Controller

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thinking of upgrading my workstation with a SSD. Has decided to purchase a motherboard with ICH10R RAID Controller and 4 or 6 X25-E SSDs. Would such system will work normally? Whether there will be enough productivity of the controller? What controller will advise?

10 REPLIES 10

Intel SRCSASJV (AKA LSI MegaRAID SAS 8888ELP) all the way. First its compatible with the Enterprise Intel SSDs.

second,it delivers 1.5GB/s performance http://www.lsi.com/DistributionSystem/AssetDocument/documentation/storage/megaraid/sas/mr_sas_8888el...

OJ

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

still pretty far from Intel IOP348 1200MHz's 12GB/s range.....

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

zulishk, I thought I mentioned depending on the RAID controller?

anyway, does anybody has a more complete list of the X25-M/X25-E validated RAID controllers? Only Adaptec?

what's the best settings for the RAID? eg Strip size etc? I'm pretty new to RAID set up

is IOP 348 @ 1200 Mhz the highest end yet affordable RAID chip so far for up to 10-14 X25-M?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

tingshen,

My "somewhat disagree" was only with your comment about linear results.

The best RAID settings depend mostly on the application of the system -- the levels of redundancy, storage, and performance required. You can find many articles on the Internet about RAID configurations, and some RAID info on specific applications (such as Exchange, databases, etc.). The most common RAID levels are 0, 1, 10, 5, and 6. I feel it would be off-topic to go into details about each level here, especially when it's so easily researched via the web.

As for stripe sizing, someone else on this forum mentioned 128K stripe size for his Intel SSDs, but again I think it depends on the application. In fact, some applications require specific stripe sizes. It might behoove you to test several configurations before commiting to it. In my experience with the dozens of SSDs we use in my company, you can typically treat the SSD as any normal SATA drive and be happy with the results. It seems most folks here (who are unsatisfied) are unsatisfied with 'benchmarking' tests only, but who knows if those tests are being executed properly and if they accurately represent real-world conditions? The best test is to recreate the environment it'll be running under, and test that application with the appropriate tools.

As for RAID controllers, my experience tells me if you stick with one that includes a RAM-based cache, you'll generally be very happy. Do you have a specific requirement(s), and are you trying to meet or exceed it? One of the best names in RAID technology is Adaptec, but that's my opinion.