cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete Erase of X25M

DSchr2
New Contributor

What is the safest way to completely erase my 2 Intel X25M 80 GB drives? (Yes, I know that a reinstall of Win 7 64bit obviates the need for that.)

However, I intend to drop an Acronis backup/image of my OS/Programs into a RAID 0 connect of these two drives - just don't have enough room for programs on a single 80 GB SSD.

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel SSD toolbox has a Secure Erase function embedded in it. It will only work on Intel SSDs but you obviously qualify.

Perry

DSchr2
New Contributor

A belated thank you, PKincy. Much appreciate the "common-sense" response.

Yes sir I do have the up-to-date SSD Toolbox and assume that to make it work I must run the Toolbox:

1) from a traditional HDD with the SSD connected but not set as a boot drive.

2) Would that be superior to having the SSD connected via USB?

I know this fully qualifies as a dumb-as-heck question but when I pull both X25M 80 GB's out to set up in a RAID configuration and am simultaneously setting up the new (due to arrive on 8/16/11) 510 120 GB SSD, I will be blind to the world - at least via the net.

Short of beating a drum or sending up smoke signals, I will be cut off from the world as I know it.

Thanks again for all,

Dennis

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Frankly, I use the Diskpart "Clean ALL" command so have not run Secure Erase from the Toolbox, but do notice it is there.

I would expect you could break your RAID down and run it from one of them, both on the drive with Toolbox installed and on the other 80GB. However I will admit I don't know the first thing about RAID arrays.

Perry