cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Freeze On "4K - 64 Thrd" ASSD Test

PHopk
New Contributor

Hello,

I have been running a 1TB Intel 600 M.2 SSD Since December and recently I have noticed times when the PC locks up (Mouse slowing, Audio Sticking) I've tested all the hardware, CPU, RAM etc.. however when running AS-SSD to check the M.2 SSD when it runs the 4K-64Thrd test the system will lock up for about 5 seconds. This never happened before.

Can anyone think what could be causing this?

I've installed the Intel RST and Intel SSD toolbox etc.. [This was already installed when it was working fine]

Motherboard : Gigabyte - Z170X-G3 [BIOS F8e PI]

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080

RAM: 2 x 16GB Kingston DDR4-2400 (1200 Mhz)

[The OS was installed with Slipped-Streamed NVMe and USB 3.0 Updates]

Old AS-SSD Bench - (Working)

Current AS-SSD (Locking up)

Current Crystal Disk Mark (For Reference)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Message was edited by: Peter Hopkins Added Crystal Disk Mark Screen Shot

10 REPLIES 10

PHopk
New Contributor

Hello Nestor,

After looking at all of the BIOS settings I looks like it was set to Legacy (which is called "Other OS" on this motherboard) If I set it Windows 8/10 (which means UEFI and not Windows 8/10) I can see the M2SS go into the Intel RST, but Obviously I can not boot back to windows as I am lacking UEFI boot code.

I will reinstall Windows 7 with UEFI boot code and hopefully we will be back to normal.

However this doesn't explain the 546 Score drop from 1505 when the OS was first installed in DEC 2016.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Tularis,

It is weird that the firmware is not properly displayed in the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox. Since this is happening, could you please check the actual SSD's label?Please try the installation and if possible to plug it in a Windows® 10 system.About the speed drop, we will be setting up a system here as well, so we can compare scores.Regards,Nestor C

PHopk
New Contributor

Hello Nestor,

After a few reinstall attempts I have managed to get Windows 7 SP1 X64 running on NVMe and UEFI

Please see the screen shots below;

Everything looks O.K however the 4K Read seems a little low....

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Tularis,

Thanks for reporting back the results of the operating system installation and new scores.We will share our scores soon as well so we can compare the 4k results.Regards,Nestor C

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Tularis,

After performing some tests here, we do have some results as well. Keep in mind that we tested with the 256GB SSD instead of 1TB, but the speed of each drive are pretty similar, http://ark.intel.com/compare/94926,94921 check it here.

The results are similar, but we do see a difference with the write speed you got.

Also, have you tried to update the firmware on the drive? According to one of your screenshots, it shows an old version. You can use the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox.

We will be running some other tests as well and we'll try to get more details about this.

Regards,

Nestor C