cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer freezes (hangs) upon Intel SSD Toolbox v3.2.3 launch

KMani1
New Contributor

Hello,

I have installed my new INTEL 530 SERIES SSDSC2BW240A401 240GB SSD 2.5'' SATA3 in my ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard with Chipset Intel® X58 / ICH10R. Fresh Windows 8.1 is running on it fine and I also installed Intel SSD Toolbox v3.2.3 for diagnostics and whatever further optimisation this allows. The SSD is positioned in slot 1 of 4 SATA II motherboard slots and is holding alone the OS, no RAID configuration,

My problem is that as soon as !Toolbox launches computer freezes instantly and becomes unresponsive. I can see the application (bleuish UI with no loaded numbers data) but there's nothing more I can do from there except hard reset. Also to specify I get no BSOD; the computer just freezes at that screen responding to no input.

I have dug around and following /thread/54232?q=Intel SSD Toolbox this post. I have proceeded installing Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (was not installed so as to repair it) and the after looking around also Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (and 2010) Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update but saw no change. In case this is corellated I also have microsoft updates about Visual C++ also give me an error and fail, while others have worked ok.

Any help to get this cool-looking Toolbox up and running?

Thank you for your time!

10 REPLIES 10

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Please install the following Windows* update as it has been proved to solve issues with Intel® SSD Toolbox.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850

Hello Joe,

I installed the ~700MB windows update stated above that I found was sitting in my Optional Updates, then rebooted. Toolbox launched successfuly, application was usable and responsive as expected and computer did not hung. Seems like that did the trick!

Following my ordinary use case on my pc I unplugged my external USB linked HDD, at which point the computer froze again, exhibiting the exact same behaviour stated in my OP upon Toolbox launch. I had assigned NO specific user-requested processes upon toolbox at that time. Meaning no scans or stuff like that, and I believe there was no apparent activity in my SSD at that point, so probably no background Toolbox processes/services I guess.

Rebooting after that computer freeze (and first ever and only successful launch of Toolbox), behavior resumed to the expected problematic one described in OP:

Computer freezes upon Toolbox launch.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Try updating your Marvell* SATA controller driver or using the Microsoft*'s inbox driver instead.

KMani1
New Contributor

Not sure what you mean by using the Microsoft*'s inbox driver instead, but I went off to Device Manager and tried to auto-update all 3 devices listed under Storage Controllers. Response to all three of them was that they were already up to date. If you meant to look in my Inbox for some driver installer you have sent me, I can't see anything there.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

You can open the Marvell 61xx RAID controller properties window from Device Manager by double click on it. The Driver tab shows you the Driver Provider, which can be Microsoft* or Marvell.

Usually you can get drivers from your system/motherboard manufacturer (recommended), the component manufacturer (in this case Marvell*) and Windows* Update. It seems that at this moment you are probably using the Microsoft* driver because, as far as I can see, neither the O.E.M. nor Marvell* provide a driver for Windows* 8.1.

Was the Intel® SSD Toolbox working with a different operating system? (Windows* 7 for example)