cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration Question

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I already have the SSD version of the Intel 750 400GB and was wondering if I also got the PCIe version could I make a RAID 0 bootable setup on my Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello swingarm,

All the models of the Intel® Solid-State Drive 750 Series are PCIe* Gen3 x4, NVMe devices. They are available in 2 form factors: 2.5in that uses a U.2 connector and Add-in-card that uses a Single slot x4 connector. You can find more information about this in the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-750-spec.pdf Intel® Solid-State Drive 750 Series Product Specification.

There is no RAID support for NVMe drives with IRST on the X99 chipsets, so you will not be able to use your new drives in a RAID configuration. That chipset does not have the PCIe/SATA remapping technology required for RST to support NVMe devices. IRST only supports SATA devices on the X99 chipset.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello swingarm,

All the models of the Intel® Solid-State Drive 750 Series are PCIe* Gen3 x4, NVMe devices. They are available in 2 form factors: 2.5in that uses a U.2 connector and Add-in-card that uses a Single slot x4 connector. You can find more information about this in the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-750-spec.pdf Intel® Solid-State Drive 750 Series Product Specification.

There is no RAID support for NVMe drives with IRST on the X99 chipsets, so you will not be able to use your new drives in a RAID configuration. That chipset does not have the PCIe/SATA remapping technology required for RST to support NVMe devices. IRST only supports SATA devices on the X99 chipset.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I guess what we need then is a NVMe mult-port PCIe raid card.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello swingarm,

NVMe is a relatively new technology and there are some features that are still been improved/developed. One would expect RAID support with these drives to be fully implemented in newer/future systems to fulfill the need of many customers, like yourself.