cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant x25m ssd failure in raid 0

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

seems to happen onee a week for 3 weeks now

I break the raid, recreate, and it works fine for multiple reboots for about a week, than i get the error again (see image)

assuming i should just RMA it, its the same drive no matter which backplane, or port i use on ever failure, latest firmware as well.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9615/imgp3577.jpg

14 REPLIES 14

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's probably flash failure, I have the same. Controller messed up with errors coming out bad flash chip, that causes him to stop responding (detecting problems and etc). This is my theory. I have succefully remapped my drive after ~10 times of securely erasing. You can find Reallocated Sector Count in SMART data, for Intel SSDs looks like current value (not RAW) grows up when spare flash blocks used. My current value is 128 (stable 3 month) that is about 1 SLC memory chip capacity (I am not sure) because there is no standart for SMART implementation and every manufacturer can use own technology as is.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi.

I have had the same issue. Raid0 2 drives, ICH10. I noticed it the first time in the OS after I've moved from screen saver to the desktop. Matrix was complaining about a missing disk and windows was about to search for the ssd driver. Power saving in my setup is off but screen will go off after 20 min.

I've attempt a reboot and it didnt succed. The drive has gone lost from my stripeset. *****

So I decided to connect each individual drive to different SATA ports. None was flagged missing any more but in Raid configuration with 2 drives ruinning the same time, one was flagged as fault still. After checking again all my connectors (power/data) the Raid was visible without error but it won't boot because the OS was missing.....

I then attempt to reinstall, but when I was powering the PC on again it just bootet into the OS and since it is running again.

Anyone any ideas? Thought I have bought a good product.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

And today it happend again. Disappointing. Anyone from Intel reading here in the community?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm seeing the same thing. Intel matrix manager 8.9, win7, x25-m g1.

I have two SSDs (one OCZ vertex, one X25-M G1) in RAID1, I can run one, then initialize the second one, run verify and see ECC errors, then run verify and repair and now all of a sudden I have 200 ECC errors plus media errors. These worked properly under Vista. Every time I run verify&repair I get 200+ ECC errors. First I had problems with the X25-M, now second time it's kicking the Vertex drive instead saying it has errors. This must be something else.

Intel Core i7, Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard, Win7 with all updates, Gigabyte driver install, Intel Matrix 8.9 (latest today). This was a fresh install. Machine has been running Vista without these problems for half a year.

Putting the x25m drive in a linux box reveals SMART UNC errors, overwriting makes them go away again.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yep, same thing here. Have a pair of X-25Ms in raid 0, with an Asus Rampage Formula MB and running matrix storage 8.9. I've been running this configuration for maybe 1 1/2 years now. The anoying random bluescreen 'failures' keep happening around once every few days. I actually RMAd the first two X-25Ms after seeing this problem and having it happen more and more frequently (once per hour or so before I replaced them), now I'm back to a 'stable' once per few days. This is super frustrating to say the least! Any advice would be appreciated.