cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could there be someyhing wrong with my SSD5- 540s- 240 G

RRich14
New Contributor

I ran out of space on my last SSD, a Samsung 80 GB. I bought an Intel 540 - 240 GB.

I decided to install the Win 10 Anniversary and like others I've had nothing but freezing. MS support sent me an ISO for the previous version 1511. At this point after a clean install, I'm still I'm freezing up. Before withe the Samsung I had a perfect ruining machine.

I'm thinking that possibly it's the new drive and not Windows. Could it possibly be the issue?

Has anyone had any issues with the 540?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

mailto:pbman1953@gmail.com pbman1953@gmail.com,

If your OS experiences slowness or freezing, you may want to take a look at this solution found in this link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/software/000006198.html Run a Low-Level Format on Intel® Solid State DrivesIf your Intel® SSD Detects a Security Freeze Lock, please access this other link that provides a solution to this specific matter: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/software/000006094.html What to Do if Your Intel® SSD Detects a Security Freeze Lock*Caution! Always back up your software before you run a low-level format or secure eraseLet us know if this worked for you.Best regards,Aleki

RRich14
New Contributor

I took your advice and took the time to use Kill disc. Then I reinstalled and the computer worked fine for a day. Then there was one update but not the newer anniversary version, still the pre- anniversary 1511.

Right after it froze.

Any ideas? Installing the most up to date video drivers don't seem to help

Thanks

Rich

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

mailto:pbman1953@gmail.com pbman1953@gmail.com,

In this case, could you please run a diagnostic using this tool: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26085/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox and send us the logs so we can check it. In the mean time, you can also do the following procedures:1. Make sure you have all the latest chipset drivers. Sometimes, certain Windows®10 freeze can be caused by certain BIOS settings such as fast boot. Please disable it and test it in order to see if the situation is resolved.2. Check for BIOS updates and update it if there is any available.3. Update your SSD firmware. *Make sure to have a back up of all the relevant information in order to avoid data loss.Let us know if this helped you.Best regards,Aleki

My replies are-

Bios is up to date

As far as I know drivers are up to date

I think fast boot is disabled because I see the bios info on boot up. But I will check.

What is the simplest way to update the firmware? I thought the SSD toolbox does that?

Last night I ran the full diagnostic test and walked away for the night. When I came back ,this morning, the screen showed me a "can't find boot disc", I had to shut down and re-start. At the end of the test it may have re-started? Then the boot disc message?

Where would the log be kept?

Thanks