cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmeit
Novice

DC P3600 Series running at half speed

Just bought new kit.

Intel DC P3600 Series 800GB SSD PCI-e Adaptor Card Solid State Drive (SSDPEDME800G401)

Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-Express Sound Card

Intel Core i7 5930K

32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit

Asus X99-S Intel X99 (Socket 2011) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Bit

2 x SLI GTX 980 video cards

System works fine. Intel SSD is configured with 8.1 and works will all the software

All bench testing on the components with PassMark shows they are all working fine except for the SSD which is only performing at 800Meg/s

I tried also using Atto bench test and got the same results. The drive is running slower than expected.

All the correct Intel drivers are installed. The Intel test package says it is working OK and link power manager is enabled.

However is read/write benchmarks are less than a 1/3 of what you would expect/ Any ideas guys, is it to do with not enough PCIe lanes being free ??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
40 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello EntonErazor,

Could you please try IOmeter to run this test? Here is the link to it: http://www.iometer.org/doc/downloads.html Iometer project - Downloads Please follow the steps below to get more accurate results.

If you are doing a sequential Read/Write, please be sure the Queue Depth is set to 128.

Step # 1:

Step # 2:

Step # 3:

Step # 4:

cmeit
Novice

Thanks for the help, which item on the Iometer list do I download please to run??

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello EntenErazor,

Please choose the one according to your Operating System. For example, if you are running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1* 64 bit, you will choose the following:

cmeit
Novice

That download told me an error message 'This app can'trun on your PC'

I am running 8.1 64bit ?

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello EntenErazor,

Please look in your system what version you have. This is how you do.

1 - Access Control Panel

2 - Select the option the says System.

3 - Once you click on it, you will be able to see all the information on your system so you can install the right version.

*You can try installing a 32 bit version. Let us know if this worked.

cmeit
Novice

Windows 8.1 64 bit ??

The download you suggested does not work

'This app can't run on your PC'

cmeit
Novice

Did you look at the 2 HD benching test results I attached ??

Johnny_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please download X86-64 (windows) IOMeter, and try to run it. At least on my system it works properly, but IA64 can not...

I would like to suggest you to remove one graphics card or audio card before test.

cmeit
Novice

Thanks fro update. The X86 - 64 software worked OK. I have put all the settings aleki gave me into software. When I run the two tests for read and write is asked me to save results to a location then just sits there with a 'Preparing Drives' in the bottom right hand box and nothing else happens ?? How long does the test normally take ?

Whens electing the test is it the drive 'C' or the Volume below that is ticked ?

cmeit
Novice

Got is working by clicking on volume. Test results show transfer rate of 642MBPS

I have attached test results

cmeit
Novice

Getting the hang of this software more. Using worker 1 for all tests I get 238 MBPS write and 641.86 MBPS read ?

Horrible performance !!!

Johnny_Y_Intel
Employee

Sorry to hear that, below are some suggestions about IOMeter test:

1. Fresh OS installation & stop or disable unnecessary programs e.g. Screen Saver, Windows Defender/System Protection, Virus Protection;
  2. Plug-in the SSD P3600 as secondary drive in clean image system; Create full capacity partition
  3. Secure Erase the SSD P3600 for out-of-box performance via Intel SSD Data Center Tool, you can download Intel SSD data Center Tool from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23931/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Data-Center-Tool Intel® Download Center; and use command "isdct delete –intelssd X" to secure erase it in Command Prompt (run "isdct show -intelssd" first to get "X" value first);

If you still get very low performance result, then we need to check your system, for example, how about the SSD temperature? Since your system use 2 high-end graphics cards, it may heat P3600 SSD, if it is overheating, the performance will be lower. Or maybe you need to remove 1 graphics card to run test again...

BTW, could you please upload your screenshot in standard JPG format? Sorry I have no idea how to open .icf file...

cmeit
Novice

This is fresh install of Windows 8. The whole system including both graphic cards are water cooled and running at 27C so heat is not an issue. Motherboard temps etc are very low. I need to run this drive in 'real' mode and get good performance using both the graphic cards etc. Removing one, disabling, virus protection etc is not the real world for performance testing.

Either the drive is faulty or there are settings on the motherboard etc that need enabling or the speeds quoted by Intel cannot be achieved on this drive ??

My previous system had the last generation of Intel SSD on an Intel 3960 X chip with twin GTX 680's and ran faster than this.???

cmeit
Novice

Screen shots of test - horrible !!

cmeit
Novice

PassMark 8 benchmark, least the DVD is running fast LOL

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello EntenErazor,

Please take a look at this guide as it may help.

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/CS-035497.htm Intel® SSD 750 Series — Performance Evaluation Guide

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello EntenErazor,

Please do the following when running the test:

1 - Move the slider for % Random/Sequential Distribution all the way to the left. This will run a 100% sequential test

2 - Change the number of Outstanding I/O's per target to 128

Please run just one access specification at a time.

Change the Update Frequency on the Result Display to 3 seconds.

Change the Result Since to Last Update.

cmeit
Novice

Thanks aleki, I have downloaded the guide and it looks really good. I will try all the observations and see if any help.

cmeit
Novice

Hi aleki, ran Iometer with the settings you suggested, small improvement

cmeit
Novice

Added the new bench test results using suggested settings