cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC P3700 makes my computer reboot over and over (NVMe driver issue?)

RAlfj
New Contributor

I got this SSD as a replacement for my old Intel 910 series that failed.

Problem: As soon as the SSD is placed in an available PCIe slot my computer starts an endless loop of rebooting. The LED on the SSD goes from yellow to green and the fans starts spinning, then a second later next reboot.

I get no BIOS screen, no nothing so I'm completely in the dark. I read something about an requierment being UEFI version 2.3.1 but there is no way to get this information from my motherboard (MSI Z77MA-G45 with the latest BIOS version) so I can't confirm nor dismiss this being the issue.

Even unplugged some other hardware to make sure the SSD got enough power with no improvement of the situation...

Any ideas?

18 REPLIES 18

PHans4
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

MSI does not provide any NVMe drivers, what driver are you using now? I see from the memory dump you are on Win7, so I'm assuming you are using the Intel NVMe driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23929/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Data-Center-Family-for-PCIe-... 1.2.0.1002-x64

If so you could try the Microsoft NVMe driver instead, you will need to install hotfix https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990941 KB2990941 and might as well get https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3087873 KB3087873 too even if I don't think it's related to your issue.

After this is done and your system has rebooted go to:

Device Manager > Storage Controllers > Intel NVM Express Controller > Driver > Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

At this stage if things worked out as I hope they have you should see both the Intel driver and the Microsoft Standard NVM Express Controller, select the latter for install.

RAlfj
New Contributor

You made an correct assumption

The other driver changed one thing... I can perform an basic disk check in windows but other than that, more bsod after a few seconds of copying data to the drive.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

This is to remind you that desktop boards with chipsets from previous generations may not be compatible with PCIe NVMe drives. NVMe is a new host controller interface for Non-Volatile Memory storage. So if the system is not compatible, it may display abnormal behavior, including memory issues.

In your case, this was confirmed with the response obtained from MSI, also, the fact that the system works with the Intel® SSD DC P3700 only if it is using a single memory DIMM, and the actions you had to do in the BIOS everytime you attempted to boot.

Also, I would like to add that Intel does not endorse / support the use of fixes that include taping or blocking PCIe connections.

RAlfj
New Contributor

And that's the end of that I guess... Now Intel just gonna have to replace my previous failed hd with one I can actually use

Thanks everyone for your time and support! *over and out*