cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC S4500 Pending Sector Issue

vhan1
New Contributor

Dear,

We have installed dozens of DC S4500 SSD in our servers. Several of them triggers smart attributes alert after warm up stress test.

Here is the output from Intel Datacenter tool of linux:

$> sudo isdct show -smart --intelssd 2

**********Some lines are skipped*************

- C5 -

Action : Pass

Description : Pending Sector Count

ID : C5

Normalized : 100

Raw : 12

Threshold : 0

Worst : 100

**********Some lines are skipped*************

Does raw value of smart attribute C5 indicate healthy problem of SSD? Is so, is file system resides on those SSDs are corrupted when these sectors are hit?

Thanks a lot!

Below is firmware version:

$> sudo isdct show -intelssd 2

- Intel SSD DC S4500 Series PHYS738000YP480BGN -

Bootloader : Property not found

DevicePath : /dev/sg2

DeviceStatus : Healthy

Firmware : SCV10100

FirmwareUpdateAvailable : SCV10111

Index : 2

ModelNumber : INTEL SSDSC2KB480G7

ProductFamily : Intel SSD DC S4500 Series

SerialNumber : PHYS738000YP480BGN

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello vanbashan,

I'm sorry to hear that some of the SSDs failed and had to be returned. Could you please tell me if you performed the suggested firmware update before the SSDs entered this non-responsive state? Also, you mention that you returned the defective devices to the resellers, will they replace the corresponding SSDs? In case you have any update or question, don't hesitate to contact us. Regards,Andres V.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello vanbashan,

I was wondering if you have any updates. Could you check the previous message? In case you consider that you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us. Regards,Andres V.

vhan1
New Contributor

Andres,

I was out of office in last few days. Sorry for the late reply.

Several disks have failed. One failed after firm update, but two failed just before firm update. Another one turned to brick during firmware update...

I have returned them to the reseller.

SC 35xx or 36xx series are very solid, but not so good for S4500. I suspect there is quality problem for SSDs in the same batch .

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello vanbashan,

Thank you for sharing the update. In case you consider that you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us. Regards,Andres V.