Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MLeRo
Beginner

Data Migration Software not recognizing Intel SSD5 hdd

I have installed Intel SSD 5 hdd on Windows 10 build 1803 workstation.

Prod code: SSDSC2KW512GBX1

SN: BTLA7445077L512DGN

OS recognizes drive. I have initialized drive as NTFS and gave it a drive letter.

I have installed Data Migration Software v3.

Keep getting message that DMS v3 only works with Intel drive.

Instructions say I should run the idms_1041_workaround.exe (located in the downloaded .zip folder).

This software is not in the download folder.

Where do I get the workaround or how should I proceed.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi mleroy,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Could you please let me know how you are connecting the drive to your system? Is it connected internally to a SATA port, is it connected externally through a USB cable, is it connected using an adapter, etc.?

Additionally, what would your final goal be?

Regards,

Diego V.
MLeRo
Beginner

The Intel SSD5 hdd is internally connected to the workstation via power cable from the workstation's power supply.

I intend to migrate the OS from the existing SATA hdd to the Intel SSD5 hdd, set the SSD5 as active and make it the boot drive.

RAJU2529
New Contributor III

try to capture the windows os by using windows pe 5.0 , after capturing the windows.wim and apply to the new intel ssd5 hdd.

I have created own windows pe 5.0 and applied whole operating system to new ssd it works fine

MLeRo
Beginner

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting to use WinPE 5 to capture a WIM of the original OS and then install the captured WIM to the SSD5 hdd?

Would I use DISM to apply the WIM?

Also, the original drive is 1TB. It has 450gb of data. I wanted to use the DATA MIGRATION SOFTWARE to repartition the SATA drive to 500gb, then migrate the new partition to the SSD5.

Would the WIM created from the SATA drive have a problem installing on the new SSD drive? the available space on the SSD is 480gb.

RAJU2529
New Contributor III

It will work finely .

I recommend the partition for windows OS in new SSD5 and also had TB hdd in laptop in last month , but in july I bought new new Samsung SSD , I attached with the help of asus service engineer ( in warranty )don't use all 480GB in SSD , SSD recommends keep 10% of the total 480GB should be free

that means use upto 430GB only , I captured the windows 10 os from HDD and I applied to newly created partitioned in SSD ,

while capturing , you must capture OS and recovery also

MLeRo
Beginner

If you don't mind, how are you capturing the image on the Sata source hdd? You said you use WinPE 5. Do you have a link to a procedure to do this? At work I use WinPE with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, but I have an MDT server that captures images after PXE booting the target pc. Do you use WinPE standalone? Do you have a WinPE boot usb drive or boot DVD?

RAJU2529
New Contributor III

I have created windows pe 5.0 used windows 10 1803 ADK , for the deployment foe windows 10 laptops and computers

created windows pe 10 64 bit size is 492MB , I made bootable USB

and I used EASY bcd.exe software to create boot menu using winpe.wim in different harddisk partition , say M:\

here is the link

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-mount-and-customize WinPE: Mount and Customize | Microsoft Docs

idata
Community Manager

Hi mleroy,

If I understood you well, you are trying to migrate the OS from a non-Intel® drive to an Intel® drive. This would explain why you are getting the same message in the Intel® Data Migration Software. This tool works only with Intel® drives, so you would have to migrate the OS from an Intel® drive to another Intel® drive, otherwise it won't work.

Considering this information, you may want to try the method suggested by raju2529 or try using the third party softwares listed here: https://communities.intel.com/message/257411# 257411 https://communities.intel.com/message/257411# 257411. These options are not validated, but they are well known to accomplish the tasks the users want, so you may find them useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.