cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data migration and disk partitions.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just recently bought an Intel SSD, 320 series 120 GB. I plan on using Intel's data migration to make the switch from my old HDD. However one thing I am not sure about is how the data migration software is going to handle my current HDD's partitions. I have three partitions in total, I dual boot XP on two of these partitions, and the third is just there for random storage.

My current HDD is 320 GB, here is the sizes for each partition:

Partition 1 - 136 GB (29 GB used)

Partition 2 - 171 GB (14 GB used)

Partition 3 - 12 GB (3 GB used)

So how exactly does the data migration handle partitions? Obviously due to the size of my HDD and the smaller size of the SSD, it won't be able to make a direct clone of the space allocated for each partition. So will I be able to choose how much GB each partition gets on the SSD, or it is all automatic?

Also how are the drive letters handled? Do they remain the same after the clone?

Appreciate the help.

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's not free, but the best tool I have seen is Paragon Migrate. It will migrate the OS and align it also, $19.95 http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/ http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Buddy, EASEUS todo backup IS free for the basic version (which has more than you would expect). If you would have actually clicked the link the first thing on the page says FREE FREE FREE (not in the particular order mind you). They have several paid versions, but the free version is quite robust, I have been using it for a while and it works great (I just recently started a 15-day trial on the Pro version cause I wanted scheduled incremental backups).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Did you resize the partion before moving it with the Intel (licensed from Acronis) Migration Tool?

I would be surprised if it could not move partition..... I was able to resize and move a partition myself.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Answered my own question since this forum is so unbelievably useless. Well done Intel.