cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data migration software hangs after reboot and displaying "Starting Acronis UEFI loader . . ."

RSear
New Contributor

Using 240 GB 530 SSD connected to HP Envy 700xt desktop through USB 3.0 port (didn't want to switch internal SATA cables more than once and I had the SATA III to USB stuff) and running Windows 7 64-bit. HDD is 1 TB with only a couple of GB used in 2 partitions (well, 3 if counting the boot partition). SSD was not initialized -- figured the data migration software (Acronis downlaoded from Intel) would handle all of that. Does the data migration software require use of an internal SATA port on the desktop for the SSD (if one does not have the intel-supplied USB cables for laptop mirroring that use 2 USB ports rather than a generic SATA drive enclosure with power supply and USB cable which I am using)?

10 REPLIES 10

RSear
New Contributor

voconia,

You are most welcome. The cloning software really shouldn't care if the SSD (target drive) is initialized or not -- it is supposed to find it and clone it like the source drive drive. It is just one of those things I will try to get balky software to work.

To everyone:

I realize (but forgot to mention earlier) I will have to shrink my partitions on the installed HDD so the total amount of GBs in the partitions are less than the size of the new SSD before I do a system image backup to attempt to restore to the SSD (thank you Microsoft for making the system image restore partition size dependent rather than the much more useful data size dependent). Anyway, what are the other pros and cons of this method?

Hello voconia,

This is the part number G13532-001.

Suigeneris,

The best way to proceed when the Intel Data Migration Software hangs at the Starting Acronis UEFI loader message is to use the Create Bootable Rescue Media option on the Intel Data Migration Software.

GWins
New Contributor

Kevin M:

Thanks for supplying the part number.

voconia

JThom43
New Contributor

For those that get here from Google:

I was replacing my main HDD (500G) with the Intel SDD (240 G) and migrating all the data over because I am too lazy to reinstall my software.

@kevin_intel is spot on. Make a bootable rescue media and figure out to get it to boot on your machine. (BIOS boot menu)

As soon as I got my machine to boot from that media, it went and completed and worked on final reboot just as the HDD I was replacing. No further tweaks were needed. Much, much faster.

Some other notes:

1. When use this rescue boot, you have to use a "basic" mouse. My gamer mouse was not recognized so couldn't do a thing. Had to unplug it and put in the basic mouse.

2. EaseUS doesn't recognize GPT drives of which Win 8 may be using on your system. (look in Drive manager)

3. I couldn't find the Free Paragon software.

Thanks for all the help.@

Thank you for sharing this information. I am sure it will be helpful for other users.

Kevin m