Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Data migration software problem (destination SSD greyed out)

Hello,

I've purchased an Intel 545s 256GB SSD (SSDSC2KW256G8X1), but so far, I haven't managed to migrate from my current HDD to the new SSD using the Intel Data Migration Software.

The current HDD is 160GB and the 545s is 240GB, so there are no size issues.

When I select the Source Disk, everything is still normal:

At the next step, both disks are greyed out and unselectable. View screenshot:

This happens when I run the software from the HDD and also from a bootable CD created by the Data Migration Software.

It happens using:

USB-to-SATA interface cable

SATA-to-SATA cable

From this Acronis support page, I understand that it's a known problem: https://kb.acronis.com/content/45619 https://kb.acronis.com/content/45619

In my case, the HDD's (Disk 1) physical sector size is 512 and the SSD's (Disk 2) is 4096. View the Acronis System Report:

Acronis Support's solution is: Select another disk as target. Both source and target disks should have identical sector size.

I don't know how to accomplish this using the Intel Data Migration Software. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Fritzz

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Fritzz,

Thanks for posting in our communities. We understand that you're experiencing problems migrating a 4k logical sector size drive to your Intel® SSD 545s using Intel® Data Migration Software.

We would like to check further into this issue. For reference, please provide us with the following details:

- Intel® System Support Utility report.

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91... Download the latest Intel® SSU.

2. Select to include "everything."

3. Name and save the report.

- Intel Data Migration Software version.

EDIT: Fritzz The Acronis* Knowledge Base article shared on your first post refers to Logical Sector Size, both drives are 512 byte. The difference between these drives is the Physical Sector Size which is not mentioned in the article.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Eugenio,

Thanks for your message.

The problem occurs in Intel Data Migration Software - Build 19.0.1044.

The SSU log file is sent in a personal message to you.

I hope you can help.

Best Regards,

Fritzz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Eugenio,

I received a bounce message re: my personal message to you. How can I send you a personal message containing the SSU log file?

Thanks again,

Fritzz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Fritzz,

Thanks for your reply. Please check your private messages.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Eugenio,

Good news. In the meantime, I tried a few other data migration programs. Macrium Reflect 7 Free Edition did the trick

After the migration, I installed the Intel SSD Toolbox and it shows that the 545s is in good health.

Thank you for your time!

Best regards,

Fritzz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Fritzz,

Thanks for your reply and sharing the workaround used to clone your drive. It is good to know your Intel® SSD 545s is working properly.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi,

Forgot to mention that the 545s offers a big performance gain over the old Seagate HDD.

It's a huge improvement for this Win7 desktop. All programs that I use work (much) faster and are far more responsive.

The PC's noise level has dropped dramatically.

Highly recommended.

Regards,

Fritzz.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Fritzz,

Thanks for the product review. Glad to know you're satisfied with the new drive.

Regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos