Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

De-Frag SSD ??

I use PC tools for a registry cleaner , on a regular basis works great , My question was Reg. Mechanic has a feature called Registry DE-Frag, So I emailed PC Tools and asked if this would Harm my SSD , and They said NO and it was safe to run The Reg De-Frag, Has anyone else used this software on a SSD and what were the results??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Nope i haven't as i use the trim that is supplied with the ssd. Ran it once after installing the ssd and now it does it at idle automatically.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

The product I'm talking about is Registry Mechanic, which works very well as keeping registry errors clean , which everyone should use, the part of the program I was reffering to is the registry DEfrag, it's not a hard drive DEfrager it just works on the registry. If you would like to try it PC Tools has a free download to try I have it on all 5 of my computers.

idata
Community Manager

Over the years, many people have asked me to help them fix their systems after running a Registry Cleaner/Defragger. Unfortunately, usually the only thing that can be done is to restore from a backup or reinstall Windows. Anyone considering using one should read this BEFORE installing it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner .

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

James , I have been using PC Tools Registry Mechanic for years and I have it on all fo my machines ( 7 ) , To date have never had any adverse effects, I am not sure what brand of software you are Refering to , I know some Reg. cleaners are not much more than snake Oil , But Reg. Mech. Works great for me. I contacted PC Tools and asked if it was OK to use on a SSD and said it was OK I just was asking if anyone else has had any experince doing it.When I said 5 machines I forgot my two notebooks.

idata
Community Manager

Robert, I am glad that you are happy with PC Tools Registry Mechanic. Like mentioned in the Wikipedia article I have never read of anyone who 'ever successfully managed to measure any significant performance increase from the use of a registry cleaner.' However, I have seen friends and neighbors systems who after running one started getting bluescreens, were unable to boot, could not uninstall applications, could not apply Windows Updates, and had other problems. I have never and will never run a Reg Cleaner/Defragger on one on my systems. Why risk it if there is no measurable benefit?

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Well like I said I guess it depends on the product, I always had good results with Reg.Mech. Besides if you can safely clean all that junk out of your sys , Why let it run around in your sys eating up resources??

idata
Community Manager

i would suggest the recommended settings here:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/x25m/sb/CS-031542.htm

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Your missing the point I'm talking about a Registry cleaner, I do not think companies like PC Tools or Norton would include these features if it would damage someones computer, It would leave open for Massive Law suites.

idata
Community Manager

ichun,

You suggestion is a good one. But with every performance change you should benchmark before and after the change to verify the value of the change.

Those running Win XP can find other tips by doing a Google search for "Making XP pro SSD friendly" then clicking on the cached version of http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?43460-Making-XP-pro-SSD-friendly. Gen 1 drives such as Solid, core and Apex (some tweaks work well on Vertex etc also [Archive] - OCZ Forum.mht http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?43460-Making-XP-pro-SSD-friendly. Gen 1 drives such as Solid, core and Apex (some tweaks work well on Vertex etc also [Archive] - OCZ Forum.mht if access is blocked to the direct link.

idata
Community Manager

I tried various registry tools, registry mechanics was probably one, and had enough issues that now I leave things well enough alone and my system runs fine. If I were making a suggestion to anyone, I would say leave the registry alone. If one ever makes changes to the registry, always back it up.

idata
Community Manager

Intel advise not running a defrag on an SSD so no I haven't tried it and never will.

idata
Community Manager

Should this be enabled or disabled? The link is contradictory.

Enable Write Caching

To Disable Windows 7 Write Caching, follow the steps below:
  • Click Start, right-click Computer and then select Properties.

• In the left pane, click Device Manager.

• Expand Disk Drives and right-click on the disk where you need to enable or disable Disk Write Caching and click properties.

• Click the Policies tab and check "Enable Write Caching on the device" to enable (default).

idata
Community Manager

Enable it for better performance.

bjenk2
Beginner

I use "Advance Uninstaller: Registry Defrag" I haven't noticed any difference (good or bad) in the performance.

Intel mailto:SSdSC@CCW120A3 SSDSC2CW120A3

Message was edited by: bill jenkins