cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with Raid 0

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So when is Intel going to get around to dealing properly with Raid 0? The last firmware update was 5 months ago. That should have been long enough to figure out how to implement it properly.

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It still might not be technically possible in ways beyond are understanding this is just not easy as turning a light on.

The way I see it is that fully hardware RAID controllers that even Intel has currently might never support TRIM on RAID for SSD being that TRIM would likely have to be a hardware implemented because it does all the work on the card. This makes the low end RAID ICH/PCH solution look better with everyone needing to get a new hardware RAID controller that supports TRIM if existing hardware RAID controller can't be supported for TRIM with ICH/PCH might being able to do it because its software with hardware just to make it bootable.

Its a long way from saying it can be done from might be able to so we will just have to wait until its been made official by an independent researcher that explains it.

I own a Intel 160GB G2 , and I've been looking at this raid probelm, Now don't get me wrong i'm a Intel FAN . But I talked to the folks at western Digital and they say in a RAID O set up their Garbage collection works anyway. So you don't have to worry about Trim. I have two 128 GB WD SSDs But have not had time to try this out. Will post results , To be Continued.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, with regard to trim, I am using a 160gb X25m G2 in my laptop and I find the toolbox optimizer works well. In my desktop I have used Crucial's 256gb C300 configured as R20 and R30 using at one time either onboard ich10R or an LSi 9260 raid card. Micron's garbage collection actually does work as my regular benchmarks have shown virtually no detectable degradation in performance over time. So speaking for Micron, at least, their GC is capable of maintaining their drive in a raid config.

Regards

Mitch