cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detection of Counterfeit/Fake Intel X25-M 80Gb (G2)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I recently purchased an Intel X25-M 80gb SSD from an online retailer. When I received the item there was several issues with missing packaging/accessories, the drive itself has some marks (possibly some type of corrosion).

1) Has anyone had issues with counterfit or fake drives? I ask because of the Intel sticker is an (Intel Inside - like sold with CPUs) rather than the Intel logo shown in all Internet publications.

2) Is there any good way to prove (by visual or hardware identification) that it is authentic/geniune? I assume the BIOS or the Intel SSD Toolkit would be a good starting place, but I'd like an informed opinion. Also the sticker on the back would be easily enough faked, so I don't think that is a valid method of verification. Not to mention that a lot of internet images of these SSDs have the model sticker on the top of the drive and it comforms to the contour of the moulded top plate - not sure if this might have changed or be different between oem or retail versions.

3) Is there any way to determine (assuming software/hardware) how much a drive has been used ie. like an internal usage counter? In case this item is legit, but used.

The retailer has just responded that although their ad specified a different model number and that the item would have the Intel packaging and accessories the product is (BULK) not retail.....

Thanks in advance,

Jason

18 REPLIES 18

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

Contact Intel support they will be able to help you:

http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm

SAdco
New Contributor II

Please contact Intel Customer Support for an RMA. We are very interested in as much information you are willing to share about this purchase.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just wanted to clear somethings up because I bought the same drive. I bought this drive from newegg they list it as OEM but it's really a bulk drive. I have called newegg & intel support to confirm it's a legit drive. They both confirmed it's BUT it comes with NOTHING because it's sold as bulk. BTW my drive looks the same as yours but my performs to intel specs, the problem with your drive is because your hooking it up to a E-SATA port.

Please read these two threads to reaffirm.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/8492

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/587583.aspx

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't actually get it from NewEgg, but a similar supplier. I think that we are probably in the same boat.

There are two outstanding issues though:

1) The new firmware loader couldn't detect the drive. I admit it could be related to my mobo, which is a little on the old side. But Intel support suggested that it might be because the drive was OEM. Have you tried the latest update (I think its 02HD)?

2) How did you gauge performance? I ran the ATTO tool and got 70mb write (which is as per spec) but only ~120Mb/s read which is only just over half of what I expected given the average 220mb/s reported in a lot of reviews. What results did you get?

Somone suggested that my port although set for SATA2 in the BIOS might only be performing at SATA1 speeds. I'm going to try it in a current spec machine and run the same tests to verify.

Thanks,

Jason

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

actually i just saw the picture of your drive. Is there no intel sticker on it at all? that looks to be like a fake. the logo should printed on the drive, like imprinted

a) Have you been able to update the firmware to 02HD on your 'bulk' drives? yes

b) Do you have oxydization on the bottom side of your drive? yes

c) Do you have the same intel logo pictured in the zipzoomfly and other sites? no

I'm getting 251.5 seq read 81.3 seq write.