cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have the right driver?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just got my new PC with an Intel X-25M G2 drive. Based on reading this forum I asked the guys making it for me to set it up with the BIOS set to AHCI and to use the Microsoft driver provided in Win7 (because I want it to TRIM automatically). I have checked to make sure that they had done as requested. The BIOS is definitely set to AHCI. And in the Device Manager under drivers for the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers I see 4 drivers one of which is the msahci.sys driver.

When I check on the driver for the SSD Drive iteself, however, the listed drivers are disk.sys and partmgr.sys. I expected to see that the driver for the disk itself would be msachi.sys. Do I have the right driver installed for the disk?

Thanks,

Sally

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What you see under ATA/ATAPI Controllers is the driver installed and it is the default AHCI Microsoft driver needed for automatic TRIM.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What you see under ATA/ATAPI Controllers is the driver installed and it is the default AHCI Microsoft driver needed for automatic TRIM.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks ambizytl! That sets my concerns to rest.

When Intel finally deliver an RST driver that gives auto TRIM I will want to update my driver to it. So after I DL the new driver do I then use it to update the driver under the ATA/ATAPI Controllers and not the the driver under the SSD device itself?

Sally (who is getting more SSD educated tha she ever thought possible)

SKlin
New Contributor

To assure that Trim is running you can do the following:

Go to Start and click it

In the "Search programs and files" box type: Cmd

It should appear above the area you are typing as a little black Cmd icon

Right click on the icon and select Run as administrator

A black screen will appear

In the black screen you will see C:\Windows\System32>

Right after that phrase type: fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

then hit the Enter key

If you see DisableDeleteNotify=0 the Trim command is enabled if the value =1 it is disabled

Good luck