cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need SSD drivers?

CKara6
New Contributor

I'm using an Intel 660P 1tb SSD with Windows 10. I didn't install anything specific for the disk but everything seems to be working properly. Do I need to download & install drivers from Intel's web page? Would that be beneficial? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
9 REPLIES 9

n_scott_pearson
Contributor II

Miniport drivers are device drivers that access their device though another driver. For example, the driver for a particular USB device needs to go through the USB driver in order to talk to their device. Filter drivers are drivers that, once inserted into the driver stack, extend or modify the features or capabilities of a device. For example, an ACPI filter driver sitting on top of the USB driver may add support for power management in attached devices. For more information on the Windows Driver model, start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Driver_Model.

Hope this helps,

...S

Thank you for the answer but it didn't really help. I'm a novice Windows user. What I want to know is whether this "Intel NVME Miniport and Filter Device Management" that I installed is useful or not. Is it?

Well, it is certainly important if you are having BSOD issues.

I just started to have the bsod. I didn't know what was happening so i thought that i had to update the firmware of my ssd. I cant do that because I won't be able to back up all my files. I updated the nvme and miniport and filter device management i didn't know what it was so i did some research and then i found your post. Now i know why this blue screen started popping up what its called and how to fix it.

Santiago_A_Inte
Contributor III

Hi CKara6,

Greetings from Intel® SSD Support Group.

This is to let you know this case is being closed.

Please feel free to get back to Intel® communities, whenever you might feel necessary.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation