cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to find drivers for my Intel x-25v 40gig ssd in my new build?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I built a HTPC, my BIOS finds the Intel ssd, but Windows 7 (64 bit) can't find any drives on which to load the OS. Gigabyte (my mobo) says I should get drivers from Intel. During the OS installation, I have the option to look for drivers.

I would think that the Win 7 disc would have all the necessary drivers but I am trying anything now. Here's my setup:

CPU - Intel i3 540

Mobo - Gigabyte GA H55M USB 3 REV 2.0

hhd - Intel x-25v 40 gig ssd

I put the ssd is on the SATA2_0 port; I have the optical on the gSATA2_5 port. There are no other drives in the system. If it matters, there is no graphics card as I'm using the i3 for graphics.

SATA is set to AHCI in the BIOS. As it boots, I see a quick screen identifying the ssd and the dvd. I can boot into the Win 7 disc and it starts installation but when it gets to the screen where I'm to select a drive, there aren't any displayed. I get a box stating "no drives were found". It says I should install a cd, dvd, or usb drive to load drivers.

I have changed ports, changed SATA cables, removed the ssd and formatted it on another computer - I'm pretty sure that the problem is not the port, cable, or the ssd. I have changed the port to IDE and back again to AHCI but nothing works - it can never find a drive.

I find it hard to believe that the Win 7 disc doesn't have the drivers. But short of anything else, are there 'special' ssd drivers I should be using? Any other suggestions (other than I should have selected an Intel board)?

thank you,

Alan

16 REPLIES 16

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hi!

Install sata ssd on sata port 01. Start the system from a BOOT DOS CD and partition of the ssd (No need format).

Now start the installation from the win7 cd.

Hope this help you

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

In Gigabyte's scheme, the first SATA port available is labeled 2-0; did you mean the first port available or the second?

I'll try your idea of a bootable DOS CD - I'm not sure I understand your instructions fully, but I'll give it a shot.

thanks

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Your mobo: SATA 2_0/1/2/3/4

I meant the first door: Number "1"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hmmm... look above

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My problem is resolved.

I spoke with the Microcenter tech as was suggested, but he had no answers but to search the web looking for similar problems. That's something I had been doing for the past month.

He then offered an exchange and I took it. Hate to say it, but given my experience with the x-25V, I exchanged it for an OCZ Agility 2 60 gig ssd for only $20 more than the cost of the x-25V 40 gig ssd.

Got home, put it into the new build, the Bios found it immediately and so did the Win 7 OS install. It runs like a charm. No difficulties at all.

Clearly, the problem was with the ssd. If any one at Intel wants the serial number of the x-25V to chase down this problem, let me know.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I learned long ago when putting together Heathkits that I learned more, and enjoyed it more, when I had to trouble shoot. I learned a lot on this project and I appreciate everyone's contribution.

Alan