cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Intel's new RST AHCI/RAID drivers support TRIM?

DZand
Contributor III

Win7 users with an Intel chipset mainboard and Intel X25-M 2G SSD's, who successfully have flashed the actually withdrawn Postville SSD Firmware, want to take advantage of the TRIM command support, but there still are some restrictions:

1. Intel's Matrix Storage Manager drivers (last official v8.9.0.1023) do not support the TRIM command. The only available SATA drivers, which do fully support the TRIM command, are the Win7 generic MS IDE/AHCI drivers.

2. SSD's running in "RAID Mode" neither do support the TRIM command nor can be "cleaned" by Intel's new SSD Toolbox.

So here is my question:

Do or will the upcoming Intel AHCI/RAID drivers of the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (RST) support the TRIM command?

I ask this, because I am already running the brandnew and WHQL certified RST driver v9.5.0.1037 (available at Station-drivers since 13th October) with my 2x160 GB Intel Postville SSD RAID0 system and got a really amazing performance boost.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

My system:

MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (P45 with Intel ICH10R Southbridge)

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 (no OC)

HDD's: 2x160 GB Intel X25-M G2 as RAID0

RAM: 4x2 GB J.Skill PC2-8500

114 REPLIES 114

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You'll be able to use the toolbox optimizer to 'trim' your drive while using intel drivers. It can be done manually or on a schedule. It seems like the only thing we miss out on with the intel drivers is automatic background trim, but the toolbox's schedule function makes up for this. Good news!

DZand
Contributor III

Ziggy schrieb:

TRIM is a native command in Windows 7, and will run automatically in the background using the MS AHCI drivers. The Intel Toolbox however will run this command either on a schedule or manually, which is what the optimisation feature does. This will allow you to run TRIM on your SSD using the Intel driver with your RAID configuration. It's not ideal but it does allow those of us who wish to use Intel's drivers (superior to the generic ones IMO) and / or RAID.

This more than likely translates to a small difference is real world operation but TRIM is doing it's job without taking the controller out of RAID mode.

Are you sure about that?

I have 2 Intel Postville SSD's running in RAID0 Mode. Both SSD's have been successfully flashed with the Trim Firmware.

When I run Intel's SSD Toolbox, I get this:

So please let me know how to manually run the Optimizer of the Toolbox.

Regards

Fernando

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As far as I understand, trim in any form (be it automatic background, or manual, or scheduled) is not supported at all for ssd drives in a raid array. Only works with single ssd drives. The case Ziggy is referring to is running a single ssd drive alongside other hdd's in a raid array, controlled by intel raid drivers. In this case the optimizer would work, because the ssd itself is not in a raid array.

Can anybody else confirm this?

DZand
Contributor III

dokh22 schrieb:

As far as I understand, trim in any form (be it automatic background, or manual, or scheduled) is not supported at all for ssd drives in a raid array. Only works with single ssd drives. The case Ziggy is referring to is running a single ssd drive alongside other hdd's in a raid array, controlled by intel raid drivers. In this case the optimizer would work, because the ssd itself is not in a raid array.

That would make sense, but in this case Ziggy's comment is absolutely misleading.

A SATA hdd or SSD, which is outside the RAID array, will never be controlled by a RAID driver. So there is no difference between a RAID and a non-RAID system regarding Trim support as long as the SSD has not been set to RAID by using the RAID Utility.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Misleading how? Dohk was specifically referring to Intel drivers for which the Intel SSD Toolbox is required. They do not support the native OS TRIM of Windows 7 at this time. This is stated quite clearly in the documentation. Furthermore as I said earlier if the SSD is not part of a RAID volume then the Toolbox should be able to run TRIM manually or on a schedule. Please point out where where you think I said that my single SSD was part of a RAID volume and I will concede your point. Dohk and I both have other RAID member disks installed but we have clearly stated that the SSD is not. I don't understand the problem here. I saw someone with a very similar drive configuration to my own, who wished to know if the Toolbox would work -

I know I won't be able to use Windows 7's automatic trim, but can I at least use the Toolbox optimizer?

Well, the Toolbox is working under these conditions and I simply wanted to share that with Dohk. Your problem with this is what exactly? I am a bit puzzled here by your confrontational attitude.

So allow me to repeat my findings and hopefully clarify the issue (Dohk seemed to get me just fine). I can share that TRIM is reported by the Toolbox as working both manually and scheduled on a single SSD system using Intel drivers along side RAID member drives.