cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the Intel(R) RSTe drivers v3.0.x.xxxx support the Trim command?

DZand
Contributor III

Owners of an X79 chipset mainboard need to use the new Intel(R) RSTe drivers (actual version: 3.0.0.2003 WHQL) instead of the RST ones.

Since the Intel(R) RSTe drivers of the v3.0 series do handle the SSD's as "SCSI Disk Devices" I am wondering, if these drivers really pass through the Trim command to the SSD. This question is only valid for Win7 systems running in AHCI mode.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

19 REPLIES 19

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't think this driver is compatible. I have an Asus Rampage IV extreme mobo with one Intel 510 SSD. The SSD toolbox does not recognize the drive at all. There's an error that says, "The Intel SSD toolbox can not communicate with the selected SSD. Consider changing to another storage driver compatible with your system and try the tool again." I have ACHI mode selected in the bios.

I have installed all the drivers off the Asus website for this mobo, and I notice that windows 7 64 sees the drive as a SCSI drive. I guess this is the issue, but I don't know how to fix it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

DZand
Contributor III

Hopper64 schrieb:

I don't think this driver is compatible. I have an Asus Rampage IV extreme mobo with one Intel 510 SSD. The SSD toolbox does not recognize the drive at all.

Although the Intel RSTe drivers v3.0.0.xxxx are designed for being used with X79 chipset systems, they definitively are compatible with all Intel chipsets from ICH7R/M up. Maybe the user has to add the missing HardwareID's to the related INF file. With my system (Z68 chipset and Intel 510 SSD in AHCI mode) the RSTe drivers v3.0.0.2003 are working like a charm.

The Intel SSD Toolbox v3.0.1 works with these drivers, but the "Optimization" button is greyed out and the S.M.A.R.T. data of the SSD are not shown.

This is how the actual version of the Intel SS Toolbox looks like:

Hopper64 schrieb:

I have installed all the drivers off the Asus website for this mobo, and I notice that windows 7 64 sees the drive as a SCSI drive. I guess this is the issue, but I don't know how to fix it.

This is a new feature of the RSTe drivers, but not a bug.

Nevertheless the question of the topic has not yet been answered: Do these new RSTe drivers v3.0.0.2003 support the Trim command?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks Fernando. You have confirmed the issue I have as the toolbox appears exactly as you have it. I don't mean to hijack your thread as my assumption was that the driver does not support trim if the optimization tab in the toolbox is greyed out. But this may not be the case, it is simply an assumption on my part.

Thanks for your input into this situation. I will have to defer to someone else who may have more experience with this.

DZand
Contributor III

Hopper64 schrieb:

my assumption was that the driver does not support trim if the optimization tab in the toolbox is greyed out. But this may not be the case, it is simply an assumption on my part.

The "Optimize" button of the Intel SSD Toolbox probably is not available, because the SSD's are handled by these new drivers as SCSI disk devices and not anymore as normal ATA disk devices.

It is not clear for me, if Intel can/will solve this problem by a new version of the SSD Toolbox or by the next release of their RSTe drivers.