cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the Intel(R) RSTe drivers v3.0.x.xxxx support the Trim command?

DZand
Contributor III

Owners of an X79 chipset mainboard need to use the new Intel(R) RSTe drivers (actual version: 3.0.0.2003 WHQL) instead of the RST ones.

Since the Intel(R) RSTe drivers of the v3.0 series do handle the SSD's as "SCSI Disk Devices" I am wondering, if these drivers really pass through the Trim command to the SSD. This question is only valid for Win7 systems running in AHCI mode.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

19 REPLIES 19

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, that's the issue, and whether the trim command is being passed to the drive with the current software with the drive being seen as SCSI per your original post. Hope something is done about it. Thanks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

BTW-My other machine has a 160g G2 Intel SSD and device manager sees the drive as a "disc drive" only. Nothing about SCSI of course. And the toolbox works here.

DZand
Contributor III

Hopper64 schrieb:

My other machine has a 160g G2 Intel SSD and device manager sees the drive as a "disc drive" only. Nothing about SCSI of course. And the toolbox works here.

Are you sure, that there is running the Enterprise Edition of the RST drivers too?

Which driver name (iaStor.sys or iaStorA.sys) and which driver version version uses the Intel SATA AHCI Controller of that computer?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Actually, no. This machine is from 2009 and is not running the enterprise drivers. I just used this as an example of how a prior hardware setup with an SSD is not having the issue we are describing in this thread. And to say that the toolbox works accordingly. I have often used the optimization tab (trim) manually for the drive just to keep things fresh. I would like to have the same ability now. Don't know if it will happen of course. Thanks, and sorry for any confusion on my part.

DZand
Contributor III

Hopper64 schrieb:

Actually, no. This machine is from 2009 and is not running the enterprise drivers. I just used this as an example of how a prior hardware setup with an SSD is not having the issue we are describing in this thread. And to say that the toolbox works accordingly.

The topic of this thread are the brandnew Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (RSTe) drivers v3.0.x.xxxx and not the wellknown "normal" RST drivers of the v9.x.x.xxxx and v10.x.x.xxxx series, which have a totally different structure (operating with just 1 single driver named iaStor.sys) and functionality (corresponding directly with the AHCI miniport and not via the SCSI stack).

All RST drivers since v9.6.0.1014 do support the Trim command, but we do not yet know, if the RSTe drivers do it as well. If the Trim command should not be supported by the currently available RSTe drivers, the X79 chipset mainboard owners with an SSD would be strongly affected, because they cannot use the "normal" RST drivers and are not able to run the "Optimizer" of Intel's SSD Toolbox.