Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DZand
Valued Contributor I

Do/will the upcoming Intel RST drivers support Trim?

@ Intel support:

It is a fact, that the Intel Matrix Storage Manager AHCI and RAID drivers do not support Trim.

So users with an Intel chipset mainboard and 1 or more Intel X25-M G2 SSD's, who had successfully flashed the Trim Firmware and now want to get benefit of the automatic Trim action while working, have to use the Win7 in-box generic MS IDE or MS AHCI drivers.

Since several weeks there are new and already WHQL certified Intel AHCI/RAID drivers v9.5.0.1037 available at Station-Drivers. They belong to the upcoming new generation of Intel storage devices support named "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" (RST).

Here are my questions:

1. Do these new RST drivers v9.5.0.1037 already pass the Trim command?

2. If not, will the upcoming official release of Intels RST drivers support Trim?

3. If not, when can we expect Intel AHCI and RAID drivers, which do fully pass the Trim command?

I did already ask similar questions within another thread, but I didn't yet get an answer. That is why I started a new thread.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Community Manager

@ Intel support:

I am also interested in the answers to Fernando's questions and would add:

4) The SSD Toolbox Optimizer does not work on SSD drives in RAID. When will RAID be support by the SSD Toolbox?

Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Intel, many of us are delaying purchasing decisions due to lack of information on the above questions. Almost any response ("currently no plans to support...", "still deciding if we will support...", "expecting to deliver this feature in x months...") would be better than nothing. Also, if possible, please tell us if TRIM and/or Toolkit support is planned for some RAID types (e.g. RAID-1), but not for others. We'd really appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

I also agree about Intel needing to provide info on TRIM & RAID, if they are only going to provide it for future products just say so.

idata
Community Manager

Will future firmware/tool box will support TRIM on RAIDs ?

Thank you!

Daniel_T_Intel
Employee

9.6.0 supports TRIM in passthrough mode, but not to a RAID volume.

idata
Community Manager

Yes, still no TRIM support for RAID volumes. That's why some of us aren't as excited about 9.6.0.1014 or SSD optimizer 1.3. My two X25-M SSD's are configured as a RAID1 array. Still, RST TRIM support for single drives appears to be a step in the right direction.

idata
Community Manager

How do you check that the Trim command is actually functioning though? Using the "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" command 0= trim is enabled and 1 = trim disabled right. How come I'm getting a 0 with the old 8.9 matrix storage drivers (Don't support Trim) though with my storage controller set to RAID?

DZand
Valued Contributor I

Ryan Hurley schrieb:

How do you check that the Trim command is actually functioning though? Using the "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" command 0= trim is enabled and 1 = trim disabled right. How come I'm getting a 0 with the old 8.9 matrix storage drivers (Don't support Trim) though with my storage controller set to RAID?

The Win7 command "fsutil behaviour query DisableDeleteNotify" command only shows, if TRIM actually is supported by the OS, but does not certify, that TRIM really is working.

idata
Community Manager

Fernando wrote:

Ryan Hurley schrieb:

The Win7 command "fsutil behaviour query DisableDeleteNotify" command only shows, if TRIM actually is supported by the OS, but does not certify, that TRIM really is working.

Ok so your're saying that Windows 7 will always show that trim is supported (0) and any other OS will show that it it isn't supported (1)? Is there a diagnostic utility out there that shows if it is working?

idata
Community Manager

fsutil is a file system utility. Therefore its DisableDeleteNotify tells you whether the file system is configured to send the trim command to the storage stack. You could disable this support. It doesn't tell you what happens to the command after that. In older OSes the DisableDeleteNotify setting won't exist because there is no trim support.

I'm not aware of anything that tells if the entire stack, file system to disk, is supporting trim.

idata
Community Manager

There is a software tool/gadget currently available that can capture a set of SSD TRIM-related metrics: google/bing "SSD TRIM metrics".