IntelĀ® Optaneā„¢ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on IntelĀ® Optaneā„¢ technology, IntelĀ® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Does Estimated Life Remaing indicator work?

farero
New Contributor I

Hello, in Intel Solid-State Toolbox does this indicator work fine? (P3700, P4600), It's allways at 100%.

If it don't work, is there any way to know the wear of the disk to predict when to change it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel

Hello, farero.

You can get the "Percentage Used" data by using the Sensor command:

• intelmas show -sensor -intelssd X
  • This should display health details from the drive and the estimated percentage used.
  • This indicator starts at 0 and up to 100.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Inte

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, farero.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I checked your ticket regarding the information provided by Intel SSD Toolbox about the life remaining, I will be glad to assist you.

This information is displayed based on the workload being applied to the unit, this calculation may not be accurate due to different factors, for example, variable workloads or periods of inactivity, so it is mostly provided as a reference.

Knowing that you own data center drives, you may also use the Intel Memory and Storage Tool CLI to try to calculate this, please keep in mind that these are DC drives, meaning that it may be difficult to generate any type of wear on them to accurately calculate their endurance.

- Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29628?v=t

- User guide and installation guide available on the same page.

Once the tool is installed, the steps are:

1. Reset SSD counter using the reset command "intelmas set ā€“intelssd X enduranceanalyzer=reset".

- Replace the X with the drive index, the command "intelmas show -intelssd" displays all the drives along with each index.

2. Apply a minimum 60-minute workload to SSD.

3. Display the information using one of the following commands:

-"intelmas show ā€“a ā€“intelssd 2"

-"intelmas show ā€“d EnduranceAnalyzer ā€“intelssd 2"

4. Read the Endurance Analyzer value which represents the driveā€™s life expectancy in years.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

farero
New Contributor I

Thanks Bruce for the reply.

I just done what suggested and will see the results next week.

The disks have been installed more than one year ago. Is there any way to show the already "spend" life (bytes written) so depending on the value, calculate the estimated remaining life.

What I want to know if the remaining disk life, like if is at 30%, 60%, etc....

Thanks!

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, farero.

You can get the "Percentage Used" data by using the Sensor command:

• intelmas show -sensor -intelssd X
  • This should display health details from the drive and the estimated percentage used.
  • This indicator starts at 0 and up to 100.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

A Contingent Worker at Inte

farero
New Contributor I

Thanks for the reply... results are something strange for me, I have values of nearly zero or zero. By the other hand what does mean: ProgramFailCount : 1, AvailableSpare : 99 and AverageNandEraseCycles : 275.

THANKS A LOT !!!!

DISC 1:

Temperature - Celsius : 24 ProgramFailCount : 1 PowerOnHours : 0x083F LowestLifetimeTemperature : 14 UnsafeShutdowns : 0x01 EndToEndErrorDetectionCount : 0 AverageNandEraseCycles : 5 CrcErrorCount : 0 EraseFailCount : 0 PowerCycles : 0x05 MinNandEraseCycles : 5 AvailableSpare : 99 MaxNandEraseCycles : 6 ThermalThrottleCount : 0 HighestLifetimeTemperature : 37 ThermalThrottleStatus : 0 TemperatureThresholdExceeded : False DeviceStatus : Healthy EnduranceAnalyzer : Property not found PercentageUsed : 0 ErrorInfoLogEntries : 0x00 MediaErrors : 0x00 SpecifiedPCBMaxOperatingTemp : 70 SpecifiedPCBMinOperatingTemp : 0 AvailableSpareBelowThreshold : False ReliabilityDegraded : False ReadOnlyMode : False ReadOnlyMode : False

Disk 2:

Temperature - Celsius : 28 ProgramFailCount : 0 PowerOnHours : 0x08314 LowestLifetimeTemperature : 21 UnsafeShutdowns : 0x00 EndToEndErrorDetectionCount : 0 AverageNandEraseCycles : 275 CrcErrorCount : 0 EraseFailCount : 0 PowerCycles : 0x01D MinNandEraseCycles : 272 AvailableSpare : 100 MaxNandEraseCycles : 279 ThermalThrottleCount : 0 HighestLifetimeTemperature : 44 ThermalThrottleStatus : 0 TemperatureThresholdExceeded : False DeviceStatus : Healthy EnduranceAnalyzer : Property not found PercentageUsed : 0 ErrorInfoLogEntries : 0x00 MediaErrors : 0x00 SpecifiedPCBMaxOperatingTemp : 85 SpecifiedPCBMinOperatingTemp : 0 AvailableSpareBelowThreshold : False ReliabilityDegraded : False ReadOnlyMode : False ReadOnlyMode : False

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, farero.

The values being on cero are actually good indicators and is not something concerning.

Regarding the other parameters you mentioned, there is not much information about them besides that is described in the name, they have a brief description in the section 3.1.3.5 of the user manual (page 30), but it is not something actually detailed as we focus on other parameters and values.

From the support side, we mostly center on the Critical Warnings and the following:

• Unsafe Shutdowns: If a high number is shown.
  • Temperature: Current and if it has exceeded the threshold.
  • Percentage Used: Estimated drive wear out.
  • Media Errors: General drive health.

Let me know,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
farero
New Contributor I

Thanks Bruce. EXCELENT support! šŸ˜„

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, farero.

I'm glad to be of assistance.

If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos