Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Does any hardware allow use of the Class 0, ATA Password drive encryption on nVME drives?

Jump to solution

Samsung advertises Class 0 drive-level encryption capability on their popular 970 nVME drives.

However, I have been unable to find a single motherboard that supports this feature.

Someone at Supermicro told me that the reason for this is that the Intel "PCH" does not support ATA Password settings for nVME drives.

Is that true?

If so, does anyone know if/when Intel will update the "PCH" so that this feature can be implemented in the motherboards that use this hardware?

Does anyone know of any motherboard that can already support this feature?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hello dlager,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Samsung* SSD feature. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can review the following information:

•   It is up to the original equipment manufacturers (OEM) how they implement disk lock function.
  • The ATA Password was designed for old storage devices and not to PCIe like the NVMe SSDs.
  • We do apologize, but we can not refer to an unreleased product, or provide a date related to future updates, on software or hardware solutions.

We advise you to contact the drive OEM (Samsung*) to get a list of hardware that has a BIOS feature compatible with your current requirements.

We will proceed to close this inquiry now since it is related to a 3rd party hardware feature.

If you need assistance related to an Intel® product, please post a new question.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel®

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Hello dlager,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Samsung* SSD feature. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can review the following information:

•   It is up to the original equipment manufacturers (OEM) how they implement disk lock function.
  • The ATA Password was designed for old storage devices and not to PCIe like the NVMe SSDs.
  • We do apologize, but we can not refer to an unreleased product, or provide a date related to future updates, on software or hardware solutions.

We advise you to contact the drive OEM (Samsung*) to get a list of hardware that has a BIOS feature compatible with your current requirements.

We will proceed to close this inquiry now since it is related to a 3rd party hardware feature.

If you need assistance related to an Intel® product, please post a new question.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel®

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Motherboard manufacturers use Intel products on their boards. One of those manufacturers said that the reason they apply ATA Password to every other drive (SSD connected to SATA) and not to the nVME drive (which also supports it) is that the Intel hardware does not support it.

Neither Supermicro or Samsung can answer when/if Intel plans to update their hardware to allow this.

This is not for "old" storage devices. Motherboards released just months ago support this feature for SSD. The nVME drives themselves support it.

I did contact Samsung about this issue. They could not answer the question either. Pretty amazing to me that I can't get a clear answer about this. It's not like I'm asking about some highly technical part. It's a feature that has been around for a long time and is now apparently only supported by half of the parts that need it. The responsibility is on Intel to explain to consumers what their products can/can't do.

0 Kudos