cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it make sense to let 20% of the SSD size unpartitioned?

DZand
Contributor III

There are a lot of different statements regarding the best way to partition an SSD for the first use. I have read many statement, where people wrote, that 20% of the SSD size should not be partitioned. Does this action really make sense or is it even necessary? If yes, which are the reasons?

It seems logical, that the SSD partition(s) themselves should not be completely filled with data. A free space of approximately 20% will be required to prevent a noticeable performance decrease, especially in case of a missing Trim support. But why should users leave a part of the SSD, which is small sized anyway, unpartitioned?

Thanks for your answers in advance!

Regards

Fernando

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My main SSD is 160GB and would never fill it up to the point where only 20 percent was left. I have three SSD's, main 160, another 160, and an 80Gb as well. I don't see why there would be a need to leave 20% unavailable.

Plus, I wouldn't do that even with a 300GB SSD. If one sees a need for more space, one can buy another HDD/SSD and put large files like Pictures, Movies, Music, etc. on that extra drive. Of course, this is my approach and others may think or do differently.

DZand
Contributor III

@ ambizytl:

Thanks for your comment.

So your simple answer to the question of the thread title seems to be: "No". Or did I misunderstand something?

By the way: As long as I have my 2 Intel Postville SSD'S I have always created partitions by utilising the whole SSD size leaving no space unpartitioned. On the other hand I took care, that there was always more than 20% free within each partition.

Until now I didn't run ito any problem or performance breakdown.

Regards

Fernando

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, my answer is no. 😉

DZand
Contributor III

ambizytl schrieb:

Yes, my answer is no. 😉

Thanks for this clear answer!

Regards

Fernando