cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the automatic trim really work ?

OPLIC
New Contributor

Two weeks ago I have successfully updated the firmware of my brand new Intel X25 G2 80GB (to 02HA). I set the ICH9R to AHCI and then installed my brand new Windows 7 OS. I have checked that my ssd was using the MS AHCI driver. So according to Intel, everything was ok to make automatic trim work : 02HA firmware + MS ACHI driver + windows 7.

Two weeks after, all my softwares were installed on my ssd (10 GB are free now). I launched Crystal diskmark and I had only 30 MB/s for the "4k write". All the other tests ( 512 k read/write, sequential read/write and 4k read) were also a bit disappointed (but fortunately not as much as the 4k write).

So I launched the Intel SSD toolbox and ran the ssd optimizer (manual trim). And yes, after that, my ssd is like brand new : 70 MB for the 4k write... (the other values are also higher).

So, does the automatic trim really do its job ? How can I check that it is really active ?

39 REPLIES 39

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ambizytl:

Did you deleted the "schedule dayly job" from the ssd optimizer, after you installed intel ssd toolbox?

The ssd optimizer is daily running in schedule if you dont delete the job.

I have 67 GB free and the same problem.

Anyway its nice to know you didnt loose performace.

Tkx for the feedback.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I removed the scheduled daily thing and the optimizer reports never being run.

Wish I could be of more help to you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I remember reading in intel update text to do the FW update with the BIOS set to AHCI.

Quote:

"BIOS STORAGE CONFIGURATION

This tool will only function correctly with the BIOS SATA ports configured to "Legacy" / "Compatibility" mode, or "AHCI" mode. Some BIOS configurations support SATA port modes such as "IRRT", "RAID", and "Native + IDE" mode, which are not supported by this utility. "

Did you install Win7 after the FW update?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wolf,

You might have already done this or it is probably set this way but you can always double check to make sure that trim is enabled by going to the command prompt and typing "fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0" and rebooting. I assume that Windows 7 already has it enabled but it might not...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I installed Windows 7 x64 on two different SSD's with one being before Firmware update and the other after firmware update. I did update in legacy mode and set BIOS to AHCI before booting back to Windows.

The reason I asked you about your SATA ports and what other choices are there is because your Enhanced may be Native + IDE. I have a different MB and my choice was simple, disabled.