cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the automatic trim really work ?

OPLIC
New Contributor

Two weeks ago I have successfully updated the firmware of my brand new Intel X25 G2 80GB (to 02HA). I set the ICH9R to AHCI and then installed my brand new Windows 7 OS. I have checked that my ssd was using the MS AHCI driver. So according to Intel, everything was ok to make automatic trim work : 02HA firmware + MS ACHI driver + windows 7.

Two weeks after, all my softwares were installed on my ssd (10 GB are free now). I launched Crystal diskmark and I had only 30 MB/s for the "4k write". All the other tests ( 512 k read/write, sequential read/write and 4k read) were also a bit disappointed (but fortunately not as much as the 4k write).

So I launched the Intel SSD toolbox and ran the ssd optimizer (manual trim). And yes, after that, my ssd is like brand new : 70 MB for the 4k write... (the other values are also higher).

So, does the automatic trim really do its job ? How can I check that it is really active ?

39 REPLIES 39

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

10GB free sounds like too little to me. I think you need more headroom than that, which just might be your problem, maybe. What setting do you have for your SATA ports?

OPLIC
New Contributor

10 GB sounds too little ? Remember that my ssd is "only" 80 GB, so 10 GB is more than 10 percent !!! If automatic trim don't do its job because "only" 10% of the space is free, Intel has to correct that quickly ...

My SATA ports are set to AHCI (my choices are "IDE", "AHCI", "RAID"). I have a gigabyte P35-DS3R with an Intel ICH9R chipset. My firmware was installed on a brand new, right out of the box ssd, Win 7 was installed after... and the driver is the MS AHCI... So according to Intel, I have everything to make automatic trim work ...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You should have bought a 160GB drive, 10% free is not good. Check with Intel if that is an issue, and also with Microsoft if that is an issue.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

For controler I have "Enhanced/AHCI", I did the FW upgrade with these options.

For ports I just have "default" or "not installed".

I've being moving lots of GB (from/to the SSD) in last days, as I was organizing my old HDs.

I thought, let's put this thing to the test

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Your SATA ports should be configured for SATA. I don't understand your "Default" unless that means SATA. Controller should be set to AHCI.

I still wonder if this has something to do with your chipset ICH8R, or something with your BIOS configuration.

When Crystal Mark reports TRIM, perhaps it is just saying TRIM is supported but not necessarily active, kind of like having SMART disabled in BIOS but utility will state SMART supported.