cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the automatic trim really work ?

OPLIC
New Contributor

Two weeks ago I have successfully updated the firmware of my brand new Intel X25 G2 80GB (to 02HA). I set the ICH9R to AHCI and then installed my brand new Windows 7 OS. I have checked that my ssd was using the MS AHCI driver. So according to Intel, everything was ok to make automatic trim work : 02HA firmware + MS ACHI driver + windows 7.

Two weeks after, all my softwares were installed on my ssd (10 GB are free now). I launched Crystal diskmark and I had only 30 MB/s for the "4k write". All the other tests ( 512 k read/write, sequential read/write and 4k read) were also a bit disappointed (but fortunately not as much as the 4k write).

So I launched the Intel SSD toolbox and ran the ssd optimizer (manual trim). And yes, after that, my ssd is like brand new : 70 MB for the 4k write... (the other values are also higher).

So, does the automatic trim really do its job ? How can I check that it is really active ?

39 REPLIES 39

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes it's SATA AHCI.

I also have NCQ with native MS drivers in win7 and TRIM got enable after FW update.

TRIM is working and used by intel optimize tool, but i'm not sure what win7 is doing with it.

I also find interesting that "schedule dayly job" is enable by default, running intel ssd optimizer dayly. They don't detect win7 or we need it?

I'll test it again in 10 days.

(click image to zoom in)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've posted in 9 Nov. that my total score in AS SSD Benchmark was 335 and went to 418 after running intel ssd optimizer (intel x-25m g2 last FW).

I have disabled the intel ssd optimizer schedule, so it's not daily running here.

Now 15 Nov, 6 days later, I've tested it again and got a total score of 348.

This time did not run intel optimizer, but I runed the AS SSD bench several time to see if the bench changed or if the driver recover the original speed.

It recover almoust all it's original speed, bellow it's the total scores I got from running the as ssd bench 9 times:

348, 358, 387, 382, 397, 400, 405, 400, 402.

The speed stabilized at +- 400, so I run the intel ssd optimizer and got the bellow total scores from running ssd bench 3 times:

420, 415, 417.

Interesting results, it looks like the drive recover it's speed, but it instantly recovers full speed after intel ssd optimizer is run.

PS: sry for my english.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Something wrong somewhere. I don't run the optimizer and get at least 420 with AS SSD tool.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

tkx for your feedback.

If you get 420 in the 1rst run, then something is wrong here...I'll keep looking for it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you are using Microsoft AHCI driver and have BIOS set to AHCI and running Windows 7, you should not have to use the optimizer.

Do you have Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller listed in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers? And under Driver details msahci?