Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OPLIC
Beginner

Does the automatic trim really work ?

Two weeks ago I have successfully updated the firmware of my brand new Intel X25 G2 80GB (to 02HA). I set the ICH9R to AHCI and then installed my brand new Windows 7 OS. I have checked that my ssd was using the MS AHCI driver. So according to Intel, everything was ok to make automatic trim work : 02HA firmware + MS ACHI driver + windows 7.

Two weeks after, all my softwares were installed on my ssd (10 GB are free now). I launched Crystal diskmark and I had only 30 MB/s for the "4k write". All the other tests ( 512 k read/write, sequential read/write and 4k read) were also a bit disappointed (but fortunately not as much as the 4k write).

So I launched the Intel SSD toolbox and ran the ssd optimizer (manual trim). And yes, after that, my ssd is like brand new : 70 MB for the 4k write... (the other values are also higher).

So, does the automatic trim really do its job ? How can I check that it is really active ?

0 Kudos
39 Replies
idata
Community Manager

I have exactly the same experience with a Intel X-25M 160GB G2, FW: 02HA, Win7 64bit.

After the firmware update and running intel ssd optimizer for the 1rst time I had a score of 423 in AS SSD Benchmark:

Now after 10 days without running intel SSD optimizer I get a score of 335 in AS SSD Benchmark:

After I just run the intel ssd optimizer today, I get a score of 418 :

Same question as oplichta: Does the automatic trim really do its job ?

It looks like we need to run intel ssd optimizer in Win7 ?!

Some Links:

AS SSD Benchmark: http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/news.php http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/news.php

CrystalDiskMark/CrystalDiskInfo: http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en

Note: CrystalDiskInfo says TRIM is enable after the firmware update.

idata
Community Manager

That is odd. What storage driver do you have? BIOS set to AHCI? Did you install Windows 7 with BIOS set to AHCI? What is the setting for your SATA ports in BIOS?

idata
Community Manager

I have standard Microsoft Win7 x64 driver V6.1.7600.16385 from 21-06-2006.

BIOS "SATA configuration: ENHACED" and "configured SATA as: AHCI" in ASUS P5B Deluxe Wifi (ICH8R).

Win7 was instaled with AHCI enable in BIOS and intel FW updade was done with AHCI enable after win7 was installed.

I deleted the "dayly_schedule_job" from intel ssd optimizer, but now I think we need to run it once a day as it was set by default after instalation.

idata
Community Manager

What are the choices in your BIOS for SATA ports? Enhanced and what else? Hmm...ICH8R just might be the problem.

You should not have to run the Optimizer with MS AHCI driver and BIOS set to AHCI. I have not seen any deterioration of performance using AS SSD tool to evaluate--and I have not used the optimizer.

idata
Community Manager

ambizytl:

Did you deleted the "schedule dayly job" from the ssd optimizer, after you installed intel ssd toolbox?

The ssd optimizer is daily running in schedule if you dont delete the job.

I have 67 GB free and the same problem.

Anyway its nice to know you didnt loose performace.

Tkx for the feedback.

idata
Community Manager

I removed the scheduled daily thing and the optimizer reports never being run.

Wish I could be of more help to you.

idata
Community Manager

I remember reading in intel update text to do the FW update with the BIOS set to AHCI.

Quote:

"BIOS STORAGE CONFIGURATION

This tool will only function correctly with the BIOS SATA ports

configured to "Legacy" / "Compatibility" mode, or "AHCI" mode.

Some BIOS configurations support SATA port modes such as "IRRT",

"RAID", and "Native + IDE" mode, which are not supported by this

utility. "

Did you install Win7 after the FW update?

idata
Community Manager

Wolf,

You might have already done this or it is probably set this way but you can always double check to make sure that trim is enabled by going to the command prompt and typing "fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0" and rebooting. I assume that Windows 7 already has it enabled but it might not...

idata
Community Manager

I installed Windows 7 x64 on two different SSD's with one being before Firmware update and the other after firmware update. I did update in legacy mode and set BIOS to AHCI before booting back to Windows.

The reason I asked you about your SATA ports and what other choices are there is because your Enhanced may be Native + IDE. I have a different MB and my choice was simple, disabled.

idata
Community Manager

I didnt tried it, but I just runned:

"C:\Windows\system32>fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify"

And win replied:

DisableDeleteNotify = 0

Also crystaldiskinfo says TRIM is suported (it said it wasnt before the FW update):

idata
Community Manager

I have these options in BIOS (BIOS config is correct):

-> Options under "SATA Configuration":

- DISABLE

- COMPATIBLE

- ENHANCED

If I select ENHANCED, a new field called "Configured SATA as" shows up.

-> Options under "Configured SATA as":

- IDE

- RAID

- AHCI

So i Have ENHANCED + AHCI in BIOS.

idata
Community Manager

"fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" only tells you that Win 7 is sending the trim command. It does not tell you what, if anything, is happening to the command that it sends out. It is on by default in Win 7 so regardless if you have a trim f/w or not it will still be on unless you turn it off.

I also don't think that trim is working automatically. I've now turned off the manually scheduled trim from the toolbox and once the drive has had a chance to enter the used state I will benchmark it to find out.

idata
Community Manager

Which is the setting for controller and which is for ports? And under what settings did you flash the firmware update?

idata
Community Manager

Interesting, does anyone know if I can still obtain a copy of the optimization software, Intel took it off of the download site and I want it.

idata
Community Manager

10GB free sounds like too little to me. I think you need more headroom than that, which just might be your problem, maybe. What setting do you have for your SATA ports?

OPLIC
Beginner

10 GB sounds too little ? Remember that my ssd is "only" 80 GB, so 10 GB is more than 10 percent !!! If automatic trim don't do its job because "only" 10% of the space is free, Intel has to correct that quickly ...

My SATA ports are set to AHCI (my choices are "IDE", "AHCI", "RAID"). I have a gigabyte P35-DS3R with an Intel ICH9R chipset. My firmware was installed on a brand new, right out of the box ssd, Win 7 was installed after... and the driver is the MS AHCI... So according to Intel, I have everything to make automatic trim work ...

idata
Community Manager

You should have bought a 160GB drive, 10% free is not good. Check with Intel if that is an issue, and also with Microsoft if that is an issue.

idata
Community Manager

For controler I have "Enhanced/AHCI", I did the FW upgrade with these options.

For ports I just have "default" or "not installed".

I've being moving lots of GB (from/to the SSD) in last days, as I was organizing my old HDs.

I thought, let's put this thing to the test

idata
Community Manager

Your SATA ports should be configured for SATA. I don't understand your "Default" unless that means SATA. Controller should be set to AHCI.

I still wonder if this has something to do with your chipset ICH8R, or something with your BIOS configuration.

When Crystal Mark reports TRIM, perhaps it is just saying TRIM is supported but not necessarily active, kind of like having SMART disabled in BIOS but utility will state SMART supported.

idata
Community Manager

Yes it's SATA AHCI.

I also have NCQ with native MS drivers in win7 and TRIM got enable after FW update.

TRIM is working and used by intel optimize tool, but i'm not sure what win7 is doing with it.

I also find interesting that "schedule dayly job" is enable by default, running intel ssd optimizer dayly. They don't detect win7 or we need it?

I'll test it again in 10 days.

(click image to zoom in)