cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this look right?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi my SSD seems a little slow i ran the AS SSD benchmark and got these results

Does this look normal or should it be faster than this?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, in terms of benchmark performance, you could do a lot better. Three things which can be improved upon are the firmware, the partition alignment and the storage driver mode.

Firstly, the firmware in use is quite old (2CV102G9) that I think it was the first firmware of the G2 drives, and it doesn't support TRIM.

Roughly in chronological order:

02G9 (first version of G2 shipping firmware?)

02HA (retracted FW)

02HB (shipping FW I've seen on a few SSDs but wasn't available via update AFAIK)

02HD

02M3 (current firmware)

You'll find it will be recommended to upgrade to the latest firmware on that puppy.

Secondly, the partition alignment is out. This doesn't seem to affect the performance of Intel SSDs as much as other drives, but it's something that you may as well take advantage of.

Thirdly, it looks like you're running in IDE compatibility mode (AHCI mode is typically the preferred mode for SSDs). Also, given it's using the pciide driver, I'm guessing you have a non-Intel chipset motherboard/confguration? It might pay to list your motherboard and confirm OS.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ok thank you for the reply, I cant figure out which motherboard i have (all programs report motherboard unknown) but i know it is made by ASUS

my operating system is windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

how would i go about updating the firmware to the latest version, and how can i change to AHCI mode?

Thank you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow I just changed to AHCI mode using a registry edit the difference is amazing,

will updating the firmware give me further improvements?

Can i get some detailed instructions on how to do that please. Does it really require a cd to be burned?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

i just finished updating firmware to latest version and i ran the test again, another improvement

The only thing left to do is the bad sector, How could i go about fixing that?

Thank you sooo much

EDIT:

Since updating the firmware there is a "safely eject hardware" icon in the toolbar which lists the SSD with an option to eject it. How can i remove this? im not planning to remove the SSD ever. i dont need this eject option