cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does win10 have the drivers to support an intel 750 2.5" NVMe ssd drive during first boot of a new PC build so you can actually install the OS onto the drive?

HBesw
New Contributor

Hi,

Just in the middle of a new build using an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha board that has 2 u.2 connectors on board. I have an 800GB 2.5" drive which I will utilise IN NVMe mode but I would like to know what to expect at first boot. I am assuming the UEFI vs3.x BIOS will recognise the drive but when I come to install windows 10 do I have to manually add NVMe drivers during the install like you used to have to do with some SCSI drives or does windows 10 have all the drivers it needs to use the Intel 750 drive as the install drive and I simply download the Intel SSD toolbox once win10 has installed to update drivers and firmware? Do I need to do a secure erase on the SSD drive before installing windows 10 if so how do I do that? If anyone can point me to a suitable intel guide I am happy to read but most of the guidance I have seen seems to be around maintenance once windows 10 has been successfully installed

6 REPLIES 6

HBesw
New Contributor

OK initial problem solved it was mainly a misunderstanding about which ports are disabled when you utilise the U.2-1 adapter on the Asus Motherboard. So now I have the Intel 750 drive installed and I can read from and write to the disk but I wonder if one of the knowledgeable folks at Intel could have a look at the attached pdf document. It has some screen shots of what I see when using the SSD toolbox and when looking in device manager to inspect the Intel 750 drive. What I would like to know if this is what is expected so I can be sure that the drive has been properly installed and the correct NVMe drivers are in use to ensure maximum performance. There is very little literature published by intel or anyone else on this topic as far as I have found,

thanks

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

HTB@UK,

Yes, according to your attachment, everything seems to be just normal.