cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay SSD fraud or just ignorance: help with new purchase please

MFull3
New Contributor

I recently bought an 80gb 320 series ssd. I loaded intel toolbox and discovered (after a few months had passed after purchase from ebay) that the device has some strange properties. The drive health is almost 100%.

The smart details show:

host writes: ~433gb

timed workload media wear: 22828302 (divide by 1024 yields: 22293%)

workload read write ratio: 79

timed workload timer (in min): 2151741392

Questions:

1. It is possible to manually change the workload timer to a user defined value?

2. Is the correct procedure to divide e2 (timed workload media wear field) by 1024 to yield a percentage wear estimate?

3. The workload timer does not give a unit of time but I believe it is minutes. This number is crazy.

4. Did I buy a salvaged SSD about to get thrown in the trash that was then resold on ebay?

Sigh

If my understanding of these E1-E4 fields are correct, I believe someone manually edited some of the fields and put in gibrish that is somehow fooling the diagnostic system. It probably doesn't accept values above a certain threshold. I.e., there is no way the workload timer is right.

7 REPLIES 7

RRich12
New Contributor

WOW now I have a headache.

I went through that info.... all I picked up was It looks like somewhere there is a secret erase password.....

RRich12
New Contributor

I guess if the workload timer is in hours it comes out to about a quarter million years.... he he....in minutes it's about 25,000 years... seconds 2,500 years.... that drive has been on a time machine!

MFull3
New Contributor

Yep, but the power on time is consistent with my usage. I read somewhere that you CAN modify the smart data. Maybe not on intel drives though.

You can reset certain parameters to test the drive health. That is, you can see what 'x workload' does to the drive. Resetting certain parameters thus is useful and is a feature.

Also, saying that intel doesn't allow editing smart values doesn't mean someone hasn't hacked it.