cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhanced vs. Maximized Mode.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is all about Smart Response Technology and I want to understand how this works. As i understand it ( and please correct me) the cached data is non-volatile so that the SSD cache will be intact and does not reset itself during a reboot even if that reboot was caused by a power outage. So if I am running in Enhanced mode, data writes are synced with the slower HDD and therefore I gain nothing in speed (on writes) but lose nothing in data. If running in Maximized mode, then I run at SSD write speed and the writes to sync the HDD are queued up and performed later at the speed of the HDD. Now if I have a power outage and some data is not yet written to HDD, will I lose those queued writes even though the SDD is non-volatile; i.e. where are the writes queued and will they still be synced after a reboot?? Thanks for your help!

1 REPLY 1

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

"Now if I have a power outage and some data is not yet written to HDD, will I lose those queued writes even though the SDD is non-volatile; i.e. where are the writes queued and will they still be synced after a reboot?? Thanks for your help! "

No you will not lose the queued writes.

All of the cached data on the SSD still resides on the SSD even during a dirty shutdown.

If you think about it, most of the data on the SSD won't be written to the HDD in Maximized mode.... otherwise we'd notice a huge delay during a normal shutdown (i.e. if all the cached data was sent to the HDD). My SSD is 40GB, that is a lot of data to cache, I can tell you that when I shutdown it doesn't take very long.

Another thing I noticed with my Z68 system is that when I reboot and enter the RAID OROM (Ctrl+I), I can see if the data is "In Sync" or "Not in Sync" under the Acceleration Options menu. The RAID OROM will also let me synchronize the data from the SSD to the HDD.

I have also "mocked" a power outage on my system out of curiousity and confirmed my new files were still seen.