cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erase X25M 80 GB SSD

DSchr2
New Contributor

I am trying to use the Intel SSD Toolbox (latest version) to erase an Intel X25M 80 GB SSD to restore to "factory-fresh" condition. I am told that I cannot. Please understand that I have set up a temporary Win 7 64 bit OS and Intel Toolbox on a traditional HDD. And I have attached only one of the SSD's to an open SATA port (AHCI).

In my ASUS Formula V BIOS, I have of course set all SATA ports to AHCI, not IDE or RAID. The Intel SSD I wish to erase/restore to factory fresh condition is NOT on SATA 1, nor set as a boot device.

Here's what I am told, and I kinda feel like an absolute rookie as a result.

I know this qualifies as a too-stupid-to-live question, but what should be so easy is not at all that.

Thanks,

IncurableGeek (@gmail.com)

16 REPLIES 16

DSchr2
New Contributor

Thank you so much all for the most helpful direction.

Here is what I have done:

In computer management --> Disk Management:

1) Deleted the one and only partition on the Intel 80 Gig SSD (I have not done both SSD's, because I want to make sure this actually works on one first.

2) Created a Simple Partition

3) Did a Quick Format without assigning a Drive Letter or Path

4) You can see from the attached Snippet just how successful/unsuccessful I have been - still shows as not being formatted on the SSD Optimizer and the SOS (sorry) on the Secure Erase. Ugh!

What to do next. And yes, I have read the manual as well as just about everything of relevance I can find on the net.

And this is the "convenience" of the SSD Toolbox?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

One thing at a time...

Just delete the partition (don't go put another partition back on the drive) and run the Secure Erase tool. WHen you have completed that step come back and let us know the results.

DSchr2
New Contributor

You have absolutely no idea how much I appreciate your continuing assistance. Really I am very grateful.

Did just as you wished, or at least my interpretation thereof.

Went back into Disk Management and Deleted the Simple Volume. Did not create another Simple Volume - and no partitions.

Did not of course format anything.

The pic should tell you where I currently find myself.

As you can see, there is no way to run the Secure Erase Tool within the SSD Toolbox.

Again,

1) all SATA ports are set to AHCI

2) Only the HDD with the OS is set up on SATA 1

3) Motherboard is new ASUS Crosshair V

Hope that helps.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So did you do as the Toolbox says and power cycle the drive to remove ATA security?

DSchr2
New Contributor

Yep, too many times to count.

In Disk Management, I created, deleted simple volume (partition) so many times and tried power cycling (with refresh) multiple times.

Kind of like this fellow did: /message/103469 http://communities.intel.com/message/103469

Short of trying "magic and witchcraft" I am at a loss as to what to try.

Gotta love the convenience of the Intel Toolbox, eh?

I'll keep reading and Googling the world, I guess.

Thanks,

IG

------------------------------

I think this best voices everyone's frustration with Secure Erase and the Intel SSD Toolbox:

/126422# 126422 5. May 26, 2011 4:43 PM /103265# 103265 in response to: /103265# 103265 fadsarmy

/126422# 126422 Re: X25-M SSD and Toolbox 2.0

yeah that power cycle stuff doesn't work for jack.

With standard MAHCI drivers installed and bios mode set to AHCI It's safe to assume I have AHCI support right?

So why does the disk not get plugged back in on this "power cycle"?

i have the same problem, everywhere i search ppl say it's a bad idea to just do a regular format of the drive- secure erase is the way to go.

So why is it so damn hard to do this secure erase??

I tried HDDERASE, but that didn't work either, it just froze on some picture during the procedure. Never got the part where i could even select a hd.

I also have a vertex3 SSD, they also have a toolbox utility, and it was very easy to do secure erase on that (when it was running as secondary hdd)

and now I have OS on my vertex3, and want to use the X25-M as secondary hd, but I have to secure erase it - but that seems impossible...