cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erase X25M 80 GB SSD

DSchr2
New Contributor

I am trying to use the Intel SSD Toolbox (latest version) to erase an Intel X25M 80 GB SSD to restore to "factory-fresh" condition. I am told that I cannot. Please understand that I have set up a temporary Win 7 64 bit OS and Intel Toolbox on a traditional HDD. And I have attached only one of the SSD's to an open SATA port (AHCI).

In my ASUS Formula V BIOS, I have of course set all SATA ports to AHCI, not IDE or RAID. The Intel SSD I wish to erase/restore to factory fresh condition is NOT on SATA 1, nor set as a boot device.

Here's what I am told, and I kinda feel like an absolute rookie as a result.

I know this qualifies as a too-stupid-to-live question, but what should be so easy is not at all that.

Thanks,

IncurableGeek (@gmail.com)

16 REPLIES 16

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks parsec:

Been through what you suggested. If took too long, even had to detect drive and refresh.

I'll try that again with tool box V3.0.3 later.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok, I've recently ran into this issue and took a while until I figure it out. But the method does work, so here is how I did it.

1. The SSD port you want to do a secure erase is HOT SWAP ENABLED (in this case the X-25M). Must be done in BIOS.

2. Boot into OS. Delete the SSD volume/partition.

3. Unhook the SSD cables without shutting off the system. Must be done in Windows.

4. Hook the cables back to a SSD.

5. Do a SECURE ERASE.