cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Help "to install the product at least one intel ssd device should be in your system"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a laptop Lenovo Y580 and I thought everything would be easy to setup and clone but I guess not.

Error Help "to install the product at least one intel ssd device should be in your system"

I have a usb to sata cable and plugged it and got the green light in the system tray. Ran the utility and it gave me this error:

"Error Help "to install the product at least one intel ssd device should be in your system"

Aweee man... what did I do? I was hoping for a smooth no surprises install.

I want to clone it, then stick ti and boot up and be done with it.

Any help guys?

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What I did was 2 things to solve this error.

1: I ran Acronis True Home Image 2012/2013 and cloned it without problem

2: Went to devices and printers in the control panel because the SSD needs to be formatted before it can be recognized. Quick format works.

Either one of these should work for you. Acronis did everything for me it recognizes SSDs. My intel 520 was defective, but I got a intel 330 later on and it works fine no problems.

Hope this helps guys.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks AM,

I also have it going again, but will wait a few days to see if the freezes return. Here's what I did.

Deleted the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app.

Deleted the Intel Control Center.

Reboot

Plugged SSD into USB drive -- Toolbox did NOT it identify it, but Explorer did see it..

Went to Control Panel, Admin Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management, select the USB Drive and Formatted it.

Used Macrium Reflect to Clone to the SSD in the USB case.

Shut down.

Swapped HDD for SSD

Boot and it installed all device drivers and asked for Restart.

Restart and all appears at peace with my world.

All happy and the Toolbox can now see the SSD but it forced me to run the short diagnostic. Did a that and a Trim and all still well.

Will not get too happy until I see what's what in a few days.

Thanks to all suggestions, especially removing the IRST. May have been the key issue.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If IRST is causing your SSD to freeze, that is due to something else in your PC, either compatibility, the BIOS, or BIOS settings. I use IRST in three different PCs, all using SSDs as the OS drives, and I've never had any issues at all.

I just don't want some people to get the wrong impression about IRST.

Some Windows laptops are similar to Apple mobile PCs, in that they are designed with certain hardware in mind, and changing things like drives does not always work, due to compatibility issues. The small and very limited BIOS used in laptops is one cause, as is the focus on saving power throughout a laptop. You can't expect to have the freedom of a Windows desktop PC in a laptop.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

All well and good, and you may be correct -- in my case. BUT, there are a lot of other reported freezes going on with the entire range of hardware formats, PC Macs et-al. Also, I am not yet ready to say removing IRST has solved the freezing problem, it is very early days.

The freezing showed up some two or three weeks after installing and running the SSD the first time. From that, I am inclined to consider that the freezing may be a function of the write-leveling, but nothing conclusive to go on at this early stage.

Also, IRST came pre-installed by Acer on this netbook. It was also reinstated when I did a full factory recovery (Alt-F10) It would seem very strange indeed that Acer, the maker of the entire system would install and advocate the use of IRST if there was some incompatibility issues with it and the BIOS.

If there is or was to be a problem with BIOS and SSD, then Intel should have some documentation stating "not suitable for laptop BIOS," or better yet -- work a little harder and make it compatible with "small" BIOS hardware.

I have read three reports on this website and myriad more from the general Internet where removing IRST has solved the problem. If it quacks like a duck...

BUT, as I have stated above, it is very early days in this recovery. AND, this is all ignoring the fact that the Toolbox "lost" the SSD until after IRST removal and formatting via the win7 system. I had formatted before removing IRST and could not recover the SSD.

All very well to blame a BIOS or base hardware, but it worked fine for those first few weeks. I hear a duck quacking off in the distance somewhere.