cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Installing Intel NVME Driver

RRosc
New Contributor II

I have two 400 GB Intel 750s installed in a Asus Maximus VIII Z170 motherboard. One 750 is installed using the U.2 connector and the other 750 is in the fourth PCIe slot (X4). The Intel SSDs are set up in a RAID 0 configuration and are being used as the boot drive. I installed the Intel RST driver during the Windows 10 (64 bit) install and everything went well. Windows is running fine, however I cannot get the Intel NVME driver to install. When I run the installer I receive an error message that states "The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: Device not detected".

The Intel RST program recognizes the RAID 0 setup but not as Intel 750s. The Intel SSD Toolbox recognizes the Raid 0 volume as Intel but has the details and optimizer buttons grayed out.

Is there a way to manually install the drivers? Is this behavior the result of setting these 2 drives in a RAID configuration?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this predicament.

Robert

6 REPLIES 6

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello RobR,

When you have a RAID 0 volume in Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, the OS will interact directly with the IRST driver. The NVMe driver is not required for operation.

The Intel® Solid-State Drive 750 Series is normally found in Device Manager, under Storage Controllers when it is working as a standalone drive, however, this is not the case when it is operating behind a RAID controller.

We will check with our additional resources if Intel® SSD Toolbox will be able to manage the 750 when using IRST. In the meantime, please let us know the following details:

- IRST driver version

- Intel® SSD Toolbox version- List of the devices detected by the Toolbox.- Please check under Device Manager - Storage Controllers and let us know the devices listed.

RRosc
New Contributor II

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the quick reply and explanation of what is occurring with my RAID setup. Here is the information you requested:

- IRST driver version: 14.5.0.1081 This is listed as the "Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller" under Storage Controller in Device Manager and in the IRST program

- Intel® SSD Toolbox version: 3.3.3- List of the devices detected by the Toolbox: Here are two screenshots of what is detected by the Toolbox

- Please check under Device Manager - Storage Controllers and let us know the devices listed.:

Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller

Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller

One additional thing that comes to mind is that I am currently unable to update the firmware of the two Intel 750s with the IRST driver.

Thanks again, Johnathon for looking into this.

Robert

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello RobR,

Based on our additional research and the screenshots you provided, this is the normal behavior in this configuration.

Since you are using IRST to create a RAID volume with your Intel® SSD 750 Series, Intel® SSD Toolbox will show the volume, but not the details of the 750's, the optimize function is not available in this configuration either.

Please keep in mind that Windows® 10 has native TRIM support, and running the Optimizer should not be necessary.

RRosc
New Contributor II

Thanks again, Jonathan. You provided clear assurance that this setup is working as expected.

One last question - with this setup will I be able to update the firmware on the 750s using the Intel SSD Toolbox?

Thanks,

Robert