cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: RAID array detected... Intel SSD Toolbox

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I Just installed my new Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB Drive (SSDSC2CW480A310) and installed the Intel SSD ToolBox. When I run the SSD Optimizer I recieve the following Error: "Error: RAID array detected. If RAID array not present, reboot and try again". My system is as follows:

Lenovo 4270CTO BIOS: 8BET55WW (1.35 )

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2960XM CPU @ 2.70GHz

SSD: INTEL SSDSC2CW480A3 Firmware 400i

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family 3.76 GB

NVIDIA Quadro 2000M

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) SP1

32GB DDR3-SDRAM (1333 MHz)

I do not have a RAID configuration.

Thanks -

25 REPLIES 25

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Same here, suddenly happening on a previously smoothly working system.

The Problem is, that I DID NOT DO ANY CONFIGURATION on the system.

Probably since one week (the last Windows Update) the system first time ever became slow and jittery.

Then I want to run the Intel SSD Optimizer as a remedy, and it gave me the

Error: RAID array detected. If RAID array not present, reboot and try again. .

Absolutely strange. There is no raid whatsoever!

Any access to the SDD is slow, and Process Explorer shows "Interrupts and DPCs",

while atapi.sys (Intel 14.11.2003, v5.1.1.1001) uses time in the range of milliseconds (RATTV3)!

IBM Thinkpad T42p - Intel 82801DBM Ultra ATA

Intel 320 1.8" FW 4PC10362 , SMART OK, 1.5 GB free

Windows XP, sometimes ATAPI 9 Errors in System Event Log,

Besides, what I have done to exclude a hardware failure.

I exchanged the PATA to SATA Adapter in front of the SSD against another hardware piece, no change.

I re-installed the old, original HDD (with a one year old status of Windows XP) into the T42p,

and everything worked fine without any ATAPI 9 errors.

So it is either a slowly dying Intel 320 SSD or som sort of a bizzare Windows driver problem.

Any ideas?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

In my case reported above, the source of the problem was, a MicroSoft "feature".

For some unknown reason it downgraded the SSD at IDE Port 0 to PIO MODE (from UDMA 5),

which caused it to become very slow ("Interrupts and DPCs" at 80-99% in Process Explorer, caused by atapi.sys).

In Windows XP Control Panel, System, Device Manager uninstalling the driver for the IDE Port 0

and rebooting twice, as adviced by the system, resolved the problem.

The SSD 320 is now in UDMA 5 again, performace as before, and Intel SSD Toolbox is not complaining

about a non-exising RAID: what a poor software!

see

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/en-us IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors occur

Hopefully the Intel 320 is not dying slowly...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So you are using a SATA to PATA adapter, which must change so many things, including protocol, and who knows how good a job it does, and to even what SATA standard it supports, and is stuck running in UDMA5. Then the Toolbox software must try to communicate with the SSD through that old interface, and then through the SATA to PATA adapter. It's a miracle the Toolbox can function at all!

But you call it "what a poor software!"? All it takes is one bit to be not correct in the data identifying the SATA mode for the Toolbox or any software that reads that data, for the result to be wrong. But not only is this not a SATA interface, or IDE, but PATA, and then not even that, PIO! As the old saying about computers goes, garbage in, garbage out.

Hopefully your SATA to PATA adapter is not killing your SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@parsec: This is just FUD!

a)

This "raid error" happend also to ohters, who have no adapters, nor raid installed.

b)

The HW combination with SATA-PATA-adapter, was working for a year, nearly 24x7.

It passed all HW Tests, and the Toolbox itself did not indicate even one error,

nor compained about adapters.

For now, I exchanged every bit of hardware (the laptop, the adapter) around the Intel 320 SSD, and errors only occur with this very Intel 320, and everything is fine with other HDDs or SSDs, or binary compatible laptops.

Also Kubuntu 8.04 stated to report, "ata.01 Emask 0x0 ... frozen" errors.

As far as I got with this SSD, it seems, it has a loose contact, which manifests itself whenever the SSD has cooled down to room tempreature over night, and then is rebootet. If it is at working temperature errors only rarely occur. It is also failing with a direct SATA connection in a Win7 machine.

c)

If this PATA/SATA business should be so important, as you write, then the INTEL SSD Toolbox should cope with it. Additionally a quality SSD by Intel should also cope with an adapter. Aggravating, because of the lack of a bootable image running the SSD Toolbox from USB pen drive, one cannot easily test the Intel SSD with the Toolbox.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm getting this exact same error and I have no RAID setup.

Error: RAID array detected. If RAID array not present, reboot and try again. .

I installed my SSD 520 last week and ran the SSD Optimizer and it ran fine. Now it is a week later and I went to run it again and I'm getting this error. I haven't added anything to my system in the last week. What do I do now? I've got half a mind to return this drive and go with another brand. Intel needs to fix this. ASAP.

A good work around would be an override button to run it anyway even if the stupid software thinks it detects the non-existent RAID. I've rebooted 3 or 4 times already. I've double and triple checked that my BIOS has my drives set to AHCI. I'm running Windows 8 Professional. I'm seriously disappointing in the poor quality of the Intel software, I regret my purchase, and I am heading to Amazon (where I bought it) to write a one star review now.

How long can I expect this drive to last if I am unable to run the optimization?

--Eric