cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External USB drive slows down SS boot time?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

I am new here and am hoping that some of you will be able to shed some light on this:

I have an 80G X25-M and it used to boot into XP Pro in 20 seconds, which was great. Then I bought a Toshiba 1TB SimpleDrive and connected it via a USB port. Now when I boot up, the screen will stop at "detecting mass storage...." for up to 3 minutes before it'll boot into XP. The strange thing is that, if I swap the SimpleDrive to another USB port, the boot will be fast again, but only for the first time. Thereafter it will stop at "detecting..." again.

It all seems very strange and illogical to me. As I am a total newbie to SS drives, and a search on Google returns nothing, I am at a loss at what to try.

FYI, the SimpleDrive never causes the same problem when connected to my laptop.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

It dosent seem to be a problem of the SSD at all.

What motherboard do you have?

Also "Now when I boot up, the screen will stop at "detecting mass storage...."" is that whilst POST?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Dogfruit. I didn't think it was a problem of the SSD because if I unplugged the external HD, everything is fine. My motherboard:

Asus P5QL Pro - Intel P43 Chipset

Also "Now when I boot up, the screen will stop at "detecting mass storage...."" is that whilst POST?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. Told you I'm new to all this

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK. I found what the problem was.

When I added the external USB drive, it automatically got added as the 2nd entry in the list of boot devices. I went into setup and removed it from the list, now everything is fine again.

Thanks anyway!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Cool I am glad you got it sorted!!!!