cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow perfomance on intel ssd 2 generation 2 160gb.............

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I dont know where is the problem i have mac book pro 15" custom configuration intel core 2 duo t9900 ,4gb ddr 3 ,nvidia 9400+9600, intel 160gb generation 2 ssd i think my trim is on and i have extremely slow perfomance i also ran intel ssd toolbox i use mac os x 10.6.4 and windows 7 64bit pro.

my scores from as ssd are

please help me improve my ssd performance without formating my ssd my ssd is not so old and i also formated it when i get it in the summer.

29 REPLIES 29

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had a look as well to see if I could find an answer. Apple just don't give proper details about what hardware they are using.

All I can find is that it uses a Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. I have seen some impressive benchmarks using SSD on a new Mac Pro 15" so I know it can be done, but I don't know how it was configured or if the hardware has been refined in later models.

One thing is for sure. It's not a problem with the X25-M or Windows

Apple offer SSD as an option for the Mac Book so they should provide advice on how it can be used properly.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Apple have custom made and. Slow ssd and expensive better option is intel! I still dont know how to use my sata II i know they are is a way to use it.if some one fi d working way or driver or something pls tell me we continue this topic ma y be. Nvidia have some solution? Or intel?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok, we have this figured out at a high level.

Your number one most important goal besides anything else is getting the SATA II interface activated.

We also know how that is possible, via the update that redux posted and that you are aware of. That should allow you to activate SATA II speeds with your EFI.

I understand you tried to install that update and it apparently failed. You said you were not sure if it succeeded or not, but I think we can all agree it did not install.

You need this update installed in order to make any progress with your problem! Once installed, you should see a big difference.

So for help with installing that update, you will need to get help in the Apple forums. They are going to know better than anyone else how to do this, the end! I don't necessarily mean the official Apple forum either, there are many others out there.

In case you are not familiar with it, try this one:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/

I have never owned an Apple PC, so I cannot help you further. Looking for help on this forum is a waste of time IMO, this is simply not an Apple PC forum!!

Is there some problem that you have with the Apple forums?

I wish you the best of luck!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi again about this update my mac is produced after this update since i use latest os i think they are is no way to install it my os 10.6.4 says to me u dont need it! On mac we use .dmg so no way to install it:(((( i will try in insanely mac but i think they are is another way to acticate sata 2.i made a research and i found this, since

i dont have experience with apple before i think my computer factory goes with this

Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache: 6 MB Memory: 4 GB Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03 SMC Version (system): 1.48f2 so this is update that people told me to install but i already have it thats why i cant install it but still nosense why my ssd is very slow ??/

i made test on my ssd on mac and i made same result as windows 7 so its definetely may be software problem any ideas????

when my mac book comes with this update factory installed its very strange why its still very slow i bought my mac book in 2009 in end of september so i am in a riddle right now i hope some will help!

p.s. i found this on my mac book pro system profiler NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia

Product: MCP79 AHCI Link Speed: 3 Gigabit Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

what is the meaning of this can some one explain ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you have the update installed, you likely still need to go into the EFI (what Apple uses instead of a BIOS) and turn on or enable SATA II speed.

I've never owned an Apple, so I don't know how that is done. How do you get into the EFI?

IF you are running at SATA II speed (which does not seem to be the case) then it is curious why your SSD is not running as fast as it could be.

Do you use the Intel SSD Toolbox? That is a free utility that Intel provides to keep their SSD's running at their best. Of course you must use this in Windows 7. You can download it here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455&lang=eng

This program will not solve your problem with the SATA I and SATA II issue, but will tune-up your SSD for best performance within the environment it is used in.

You should run either Diagnostic Scan, and then in the SSD Management Tools section, run the Intel SSD Optimizer. After that you can try another AS SSD test and see what the results are. You might see some improvement, but do not expect this to fix your issue.

One question, how much free space do you have on your SSD?