Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

File system freeze in Intel SSD 600p Series with Intel BYC6i7KYK running in Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS during building Yocto

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm using Intel SSD 600p Series together with Intel NUC6i7KYK install Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS as Yocto build system. After running for awhile in the middle process building Yocto image, it will cause the files system freeze or the can't find see other files location in my system. After the system reboot, I can see back all the files and folder. I'm running a few time, it always causing the files system freeze. Is there any issue with Intel SSD600p Series running with multiple threads with read-writeKYK in Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS? I did try switch over building my Yocto image by using Samsung M.2 80mm as second storage in my system, it doesn't see any issue at all after test with 3 times. Can help to solve this issue?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello SiewHoon,

We understand you're experiencing some issues while using the Intel® SSD 600p Series under your Ubuntu* installation. It's important to point out that this model has not yet been validated for Linux* distributions.

The 600p Series is an NVMe* drive that was designed to work with the inbox drivers provided in modern Windows* versions. We do not provide a standalone driver, nor a Linux* driver. It's possible that the issues you're experiencing may be caused by a driver issue.

However, in hopes of providing a more helpful answer, we would like to take some time to research this further and engage our additional resources. In order to do this, we would like to have some more information.

• Have you tested the 600p on your Intel® NUC6i7KYK using a Windows* OS?
  • To discard a defective SSD, do you have any desktop systems where you could test this drive?
  • What is the model of the Samsung* SSD you used? (is it SATA, or NVMe* like the 600p)
  • Are you using the Intel® SSD as the boot drive, or a secondary storage unit?
  • Which NVMe* driver are you using?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello SiewHoon,

We understand you're experiencing some issues while using the Intel® SSD 600p Series under your Ubuntu* installation. It's important to point out that this model has not yet been validated for Linux* distributions.

The 600p Series is an NVMe* drive that was designed to work with the inbox drivers provided in modern Windows* versions. We do not provide a standalone driver, nor a Linux* driver. It's possible that the issues you're experiencing may be caused by a driver issue.

However, in hopes of providing a more helpful answer, we would like to take some time to research this further and engage our additional resources. In order to do this, we would like to have some more information.

• To discard a defective SSD, do you have any desktop systems where you could test this drive?
  • What is the model of the Samsung* SSD you used? (is it SATA, or NVMe* like the 600p)

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your respond.

• No, I don't using Windows* OS.
    • No, I don't have others system to test it.
    • Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 1TB. Don't think is same as NVMe*. It is SSD SATA model.
    • Yes, I'm using the Intel SSD as boot drive.
    • I'm using Intel SSD 730 Serial as my secondary storage unit to build also causing system freezing.
    • Not sure why if I'm plugin Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 as secondary storage unit can't reproduce the issue.
    • nvme, Linux-generic.

You are right, the driver not yet supported for SSD 600p. It only can be use as secondary storage for now. I did tested by switch over using another SSD 730 serial as boot drive, using 600p as secondary storage to build yocto image, it is working to finish building the yocto image. Thank you for the feedback.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello SiewHoon,

We're glad that we were able to provide some useful feedback, helping you identify the source of the issue.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello SiewHoon,

Is this issue still ongoing?

If so, could you please let us know which firmare version you're using on your Intel® SSD 600p Series?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello SiewHoon,

We tested the 600p using Ubuntu* 14.04 but were unable to install the OS. However, using the latest release, Ubuntu* 16.04.2 LTS, and did not experience any problems.

Would it be possible for you to test using Ubuntu* 16.04.2 LTS or Ubuntu 17.04 and share your results with us?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos