cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Update D3-S4510 possible via USB to SATA adapter?

TKrube
New Contributor

My new D3-S4510 1.92TB have Firmware XCV10120 installed which I want to upgrade to the current FW XCV10132. After the FW upgrade the drives will be installed in a Synology NAS, which cannot perform the FW update.

As I am using a Dell XPS notebook I have connected the disks with a USB->SATA adapter. I tried using the Intel Memory and Storage Tool (GUI version for Windows) but it did not recognize the SSD correctly. Instead it shows generic information from the adapter. Is there a way to connect the SSD to the notebook so that the MAS-Tool recognizes them and can perform a FW upgrade on them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, @TKrube.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

We received your thread regarding the firmware update via enclosure/adapter, I will be glad to assist you.

It is recommended to connect the drives directly to the system without using any type of adapters as some of them may not even work, or some that do work will make the drive to be recognized as a generic storage drive, not exactly as an Intel SSD, making the firmware update not possible since the tool cannot recognize it (as you said) and also as mentioned in the article "USB/PCIe* Adapters and Enclosures for Intel® Solid State Drives": https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055211/memory-and-storage.html

This being an enclosure/adapter limitation, means there is no actual workaround I can provide, except looking for a different system to connect the drives directly if possible.

I will proceed to close the thread on January 4th, but if you have any questions, concerns, or would like to add anything else, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, @TKrube.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

We received your thread regarding the firmware update via enclosure/adapter, I will be glad to assist you.

It is recommended to connect the drives directly to the system without using any type of adapters as some of them may not even work, or some that do work will make the drive to be recognized as a generic storage drive, not exactly as an Intel SSD, making the firmware update not possible since the tool cannot recognize it (as you said) and also as mentioned in the article "USB/PCIe* Adapters and Enclosures for Intel® Solid State Drives": https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055211/memory-and-storage.html

This being an enclosure/adapter limitation, means there is no actual workaround I can provide, except looking for a different system to connect the drives directly if possible.

I will proceed to close the thread on January 4th, but if you have any questions, concerns, or would like to add anything else, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Hello Bruce, thank you for the technical explanation. I will try other adapters as that will be easier to do than finding someone who uses a PC and not a notebook. If this fails, I have to figure a way of finding someone with a desktop computer. Thanks and kind regards, Thomas