cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Update Message: Intel SSD is not attached or is disabled on Win 7 64 bit

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

MY PC: Windows 7 64 bit, Core i7 + SSD 160 GB, everything works fine, Sisoft Sandra reports my SSD like this: <!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 21 false false false DE X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]> <w:LsdException Lo...

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Got the same message, though I could see my 80 GB X25-M just fine. Another thread on the same subject "Solution for "SSD not found" mentioned the one magic word for me: eSATA. It seems that there is another controller in my HP DV7-3060 that controls the eSATA port, and possibly the SD card slot. I have no choice in my BIOS setup that allows me to disable it, but I did happen to have the magic combination to deal with it. A while back, I bought an extermal NavStar SATA drive dock that allows me to just drop in either a 3.5 or 2.5 inch drive. I have used it previously to transfer files. Not only does it have a USB port, it has an eSATA port. When I pulled my SSD drive out of the notebook and put it "naked" into the external drive, cconnected to my laptop's eSATA port, boot disc saw it just fine, and updated the firmware. So that is a pretty specific set of circumstances, but it did work, and may give other people some clues.

After I upgraded, CrystalDisk showed that I do now have TRIM, but honestly, the benchmark specs didn't budge a bit. I was able to create a partition in exactly the right place for alignment, and I'm running Win 7 64 bit, but my 4k read was only 14 mB/s, and write was 24 MB/s; overall though, my read was 250 MB/s and write was 82 MB/s. Sure beats the old spinner, evan at 7200 RPM

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Don't always expect as soon as you load the 02HD trim enabled firmware that your performance is going to magically jump. 160GB drives are the exception as you should see an immediate boost in seq write perfromance to somewhere around 100MB/s. If your drive is relatively new or has not yet approached a state of degrading performance, then executing trim will not necessarily show a perfomance boost. It will however keep you drive at optmimal performance levels going forward. Additonally Win7 may not have yet determined it is time to trim your drive.

I posted in a couple of other threads in regards to the current version of CrystalDiskMark v2.x that everyone seems to be using does not support queue depths greather than one. The latest 3.x beta version has a new field that enables queue depth of 32 for 4K transfers. I would recommend trying out the latest beta version when evaluating the performance of your Intel SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Funny you should mention that Beta. I had already gone ahead and used that before using 2.2, and noticed the extra column for 4K-Q32. The numbers in that column are significantly higher than for a single 4K file. By the way, I also download a program called AS SSD which a guy in Germany has written specifically for SS drives. The results are similar to CrystalDisk, so both using both seems redundant. However, I think I need to warn everybody about a possible bug in that program. Crystal Disk adds a folder on your C Drive, of about a Gig's worth of data, which is quite obviously visible and then deletable afterward. AS SSD seems to use a hidden file, which I was only able to see in my Perfect Disk defragmentation program, which can't be erased and doubles in size every pass. Yes, I know not to use defraggers on an SSD, but I was using in on my spinner, previous to shinking my C drive below 74 GB, preparing for Ghost to copy my C drive to the Intel. I finally had to do a restore from an old Ghost backup to before I installed the AS SSD program to get rid of the extra space-gobbler file. Caveat emptor!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

From where can we check if Windows have trimmed the disk or not?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Where can we find this AS SSD hidden file?

How can we check if it actually exists in our SSD or not?