cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update: SSD not found

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all,

I'm operating a SSD 320 / 120 GB. It is running perfectly in my PC system. It's used for the Windows partition.

Anyway, I tried to update the firmware to avoid the 8 MB bug.

When I boot from the update CD the tool does not find my SSD. It tells there is no SSD in my system.

Any idea what might be wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

MScho13
New Contributor

I'm having the same issue : SSD 320 series / 40GB

It's intended as a storage in an embedded linux system / machine controller.

I tried the following :

First with EXT3 partitions on the drive (although I don't see the relevance of which partitions would be on the drive)

1/ attach with USB-SATA bridge to regular PC, booting from CD the Firmware Upgrade Tool but SSD isn't visible.

2/ attach directly with SATA to the motherboard of desktop PC, booting from CD the Firmware Upgrade Tool but SSD isn't visible.

3/ attach with USB-SATA bridge to regular PC, booting WinXP and SSD Toolbox : the toolbox doesnt' see the drive, although Windows storage manager sees the drives and the partitions

Then I reformatted into FAT, thinking that the FreeDos tool would like FAT as well as SSD Toolbox,

4/ attach with USB-SATA bridge to laptop, SSD drive mounts in WinXP, but Toolbox doesn't see the drive...

Anybody have any suggestions left??

thanks,

Marc.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Anyone an idea?

JAMES_J_Intel
Contributor

Hi,

Please consider the following;

1. - For 1/: Firmware update via USB to SATA adapters is not supported, the tool will not see the drive in this case
  2. - For 2/: When attaching to the motherboard, ensure you are attaching to port 0 or port 1. Then if FW update does not work, change the port to IDE or
  3. compatibility mode
  4. - For 3/: See answer to 1/ above
  5. - For 4/: Intel SSD Toolbox does not support USB to SATA adapters either

Jim

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Basically, hook it up to the motherboard's native SATA controller in IDE/Compatibility Mode.