cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update disc hangs on boot

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a new Asus P6T Deluxe V2, nVidia 250 (I know there are some issues with nVidia chipsets, but I'm not even as far as some of the other posters), OCZ Platinum 3x2GB memory, etc.

I successfully installed Win 7, 64-bit ultimate RC1. However, I cannot boot to the drive. I was in the operating system once right after the install. But being able to actually boot to the SSD drive has proved impossible.

So I decided to update the firmware. No good since the iso image, burned to a cd, started into FREEDOS, but then promptly hung. If I reboot and hit the F5 button for boot configuration, it shows that there is an error because a:\command.com is not there (it isn't on the iso image).

So, anyone else experience the firmware update disc hanging? Or have any suggestions as to why I cannot boot to the SSD?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi again childetx

While I was doing even more reseach today from work - I stumbled across the download page for the Intel® SATA SSD Firmware Update Tool, yet again.

I saw that since only a few days ago, there's a new version uploaded with the firmware .iso.

We're talking about the version 1.2. It also has another name than my previous downloads just a few days ago. Changed from "04098820" to "080902G98820" which indicates "august 2009".

Checking the content on those files, you can clearly see that the latest version has the correct files init (see picture below).

Note the difference in 2 specific files: "autoexec.bat" and "command.com"

I will attempt to update the firmware of my X25-M when I get home from work today, and let you know if it works - unless you can confirm it before me

Hope this finally will work, after all my struggeling and researching.

//qck

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi again childetx

While I was doing even more reseach today from work - I stumbled across the download page for the Intel® SATA SSD Firmware Update Tool, yet again.

I saw that since only a few days ago, there's a new version uploaded with the firmware .iso.

We're talking about the version 1.2. It also has another name than my previous downloads just a few days ago. Changed from "04098820" to "080902G98820" which indicates "august 2009".

Checking the content on those files, you can clearly see that the latest version has the correct files init (see picture below).

Note the difference in 2 specific files: "autoexec.bat" and "command.com"

I will attempt to update the firmware of my X25-M when I get home from work today, and let you know if it works - unless you can confirm it before me

Hope this finally will work, after all my struggeling and researching.

//qck

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've just tested the new firmware v.1.2 disc on a computer at work.

I can confirm that the tool now works - it doesn't stop on the "FreeBSD" info. rather continues to "Firmware license agreement" page, as told in intel guideline. Looking forward to update the firmware of my disc.

Finally

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My system hangs just after it asks me if i want to update this disk, but only when using a CD or DVD.

I created a bootable USB-stick and then it worked like a charm!

btw. It was on a ASUS Maximus Formula with a sata connected dvd.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, I have confirmed that it now works. I updated my drive and it went from having about 1.5 GB free to around 26 GB free space. Not sure why the firmware update made it report the (hopefully) correct number to Windows 7, but at least it is now.

Thanks,

Evan